Perhaps you just got a new car. If so then congratulations to you, but now the hard part is to come. Having a new car means that you should experience comfort and flexibility in everyday appointments.
A new car sometimes comes with its tons of expenses, especially gas, oil, and maintenance. Having a car is a sign of sophistication. It often is considered to be a status symbol.
However, sometimes you have to get rid of car scratches. Otherwise, your beautiful Porsche, Jaguar, or economy car could lose its appeal. Worse yet, it can be rough if your vehicle has dents in it.
The most common kind of car scratches or damages includes the following:
- Vehicle accident scratches-Sometimes a vehicle accident can be just a small side swipe that causes nicks or cuts in your car’s paint job. However, sometimes these scratches are way smaller than even this.
The reason being is that sometimes these marks result just from someone backing into you. The good news is that most of these nicks, scratches, chips, and tiny dents are covered by most care insurance policies.
- Damage by vandalism-Sometimes unscrupulous acts of vandalism is committed, and these cause damage to car paint. Mild to severe scratches could occur on the car paint but also on the metal of the car itself.
A car could be damaged in this way by using any sharp object such as a piece of glass or sharp metal object. It could be just random scratches or an obscene message or even a threat. In any case, it is not the same as a car mark that occurs when one bumper collides with another and leaves paint marks.
- Car marks-This is actually different than a scratch. A car mark is simply the rubbing off of paint from one car to another. You can tell more specifically by using a fingernail at a 90-degree angle to the defect.
If your fingernail digs in you know there is an actual scratch, but if not it is just a mark. You could also run your fingertip across the bumper to feel if there are any bumps or ridges or if the surface is smooth.
As far as getting rid of scratches here are some ideas and tips:
- Distinguishing between scratches or marks can really make a difference. It will help you decide what course of action to take when it is time to correct the situation.
- If you are just correcting a mark, you can use an aerosol tar or an adhesive remover to take it off. You could also use acetone or a lacquer thinner. Usually just a little bit of solution can get it off.
- One way to deal with a small scratch is to paint over it. The first step would be to wash the area with mild laundry detergent to remove any wax or other residue.
- Once you have removed wax and coatings you can then sand the scratch using as fine of sandpaper as possible. The goal is to sand down the scratched area as smoothly as you can without sanding to the next layer.
- After you sand down a scratched area you can use soft brush to scrub away all the sanding dust. Then, you can use masking tape or paper to isolate the scratch, leaving an inch or two of working room.
- When attempting to touch up a paint job, make sure you match the new paint color with your current one. If you don’t an ugly color spot will stand out from the rest of the car.
- If you are looking for paint to touch up a scratch, copy down your vehicle identification number (VIN) usually on a small metal plate on the driver’s side. Then, go to an auto parts store or online vendor for paint to look for the paint color you want.
- If you want to correct a deep scratch you should apply a body compound to the area before you paint. This compound could be found at an auto specialty shop or other store where detailing supplies are sold.
- When putting on a body compound the knife you use should be made of plastic. This body compound then hardens after which you can lay it flat. After this you should sand it flat.
- Once you have added the body compound and sanded the area, you should then blow away the dust. Then, add a small amount of primer paint and let it dry overnight.
- Minor versus deep scratches usually can be fixed with a rubbing compound and polish. This should be enough to clear away marks and scratches.
- If the scratch is very serious you should allow a professional to take care of it. This will help you be sure your car will be what it once was.
As useful as cardboard boxes are, they can take up quite a bit of space. Getting rid of cardboard boxes often is a necessity after a hug move. Therefore, some tips are provided to help you dispose of or store these containers.
Cardboard Box Usage
The reason why cardboard boxes are used to store things is because they are cheap. People can find them practically for free because they come with almost anything.
For instance, you get one whenever you buy an appliance. You might even get one when you go grocery shopping. Where ever you get them from they eventually accumulate to the point where you have to do something about it.
Storage of Boxes
Cardboard boxes are very easy to store. In fact, they are quite a bit easier to move and store than wooden boxes or plastic bins.
All you have to do is rip the packing tape off the bottom of the box. You also may need to pull up or pull out the bottom flaps before you can fold them to flatten them.
Other boxes may be foldable after you tear down one side of it, depending how the box is constructed. Whatever you need to do to fold the box as flat as possible is very helpful. Again, the fact that cardboard boxes can be easily stored when not in use is quite an attractive feature to many people.
Cardboard Box Disposal
If you do not want your cardboard boxes you can find a way to get rid of them. Some methods of removal may even help you make some money.
The most profit can be made selling your cardboard boxes outright. You can especially make quite a bit of money if you have a bulk supply and people need them in a hurry. Of course, if you do not need the money you can always donate the boxes to friends, family, or charity.
Some money may also be paid out when you bring your boxes to a recycling center. Many popular chain stores such as Wal-Mart or any local grocery store might take them. Landfills also have recycling facilities.
However, you could find alternate uses for your boxes instead of disposing of them. One popular use for cardboard boxes is to use them to make a puppet playhouse. They also might serve as a useful bed or home for a small puppy provided the puppy does not chew too much.
Sometimes old and ripped up cardboard also make a great fire starter. It burns better than regular wood but it also burns slower than thin pieces of paper or dried pine leaves.
Cardboard boxes are quite useful. However, your decision to keep them, store them, throw them out, or give them away is up to you.
The suggestion is that you at least carry in your home a couple of sizes of boxes for future use. However, if you do not have very much space you can always use the storage tips as described above.
Clogged drains can be very hard to deal with. However, you can get rid of clogged drains even without a plumber.
Numerous practical tips can help you solve this problem fast:
- Gather the tools you need to help you finish this job right. Items you need include the following: Pliers, pipe, joint compound, Teflon tape, and pipe wrench. You also need a plunger, petroleum jelly, plumber’s auger, and screwdrivers.
- Identify root clog location within the pipes. Usually only dealing with one clogged drain in the sink, toilet, or shower is easiest to deal with. However, you should also check the main drain line if more than one drain is clogged at the same time.
- Check the drain stopper or strainer. This is a very common place for a bathroom sink or bathtub to experience a clog. The strainer or drain stopper usually can be easily removed in order to properly clean out sinks and bathtubs.
- Keep the hair out of your drain and stopper. Keeping your drain stopper and stopper base clean can help prevent drain clogging. Using pliers may also help. However, make sure you put protective padding around the stopper. This will help reduce the chance you will not accidentally chip the chrome finish.
- Remove strainer screws to make cleaning easier. Once the strainer screws are removed you can then take out the strainer. Clean it as completely as possible.
Proper Use of Plungers
A plunger can be used to unclog a drain. However, maximum results while plunging requires the right kind of plunger-one that springs back well. If your plunger is now old you may need a new one.
Here are some practical plunging tips:
- Block all openings by forcing thick rags into the holes. This will help create greater suction when you attempt to use a plunger.
- Use of water is very helpful when using a plunger. Usually only two to three inches of water over the clogged drain can do the trick. This water is what would most clear whatever obstruction is causing your sink to be clogged.
- Have an extra basin of water on hand. This is helpful in case the original water supply you are plunging dwindles down
- You can add a thick layer of petroleum jelly to the rim of the plunger. This will help create a more powerful suction as it creates a tighter seal.
- It might take you at least two minutes and then afterwards you can start testing the water if it goes down the drain. Then, you may have to resume plunging if the water looks sluggish.
- Once the water is running faster you can tell it is unclogging. You can then run hot water into the drain to wash away the remaining particles.
Cleaning the Trap
- Sometimes a plunger does not work very well. If you have not noticed as powerful of results as you like when plunging your pipes, try cleaning the trap under the sink.
- Aim a bucket below the trap. This will allow you to catch any waste water.
- If a trap has a hexagonal clean out-plug at the base of the bent take out that plug. Then, push a straightened coat hanger or bottle brush around the trap bends.
- In the event there are no clean-out plugs you should loosen the two couplings that help remove the trap. While doing so, you are advised to pad the water pump pliers. This will help you avoid damaging the chrome finish.
- Sometimes trap joints may be stubborn. In the event they are, use of some penetration oil should be used.
- After you have loosened the trap, hold it over the bucket to drain off the waste water. Then, insert a bottle brush or straightened coat hanger into the trap to help push out the debris.
- After you have chosen one of the above trap removal methods, use hot soapy water to wash the trap. Check for any sign of wear and tear before you install, too. This will help prevent further leakage.
Black mold is not only unattractive-looking but it is also potentially problem-forming. It can be very unsanitary and it can appear in places that are hard to reach.
It also appears in places that are hardly noticeable. This leads to problems, especially mold-born sicknesses. In fact, this is such a serious issue that the types of problems with Class A, B, and C are shown below.
Mold type descriptions:
Class A-This is a class of mold that is potentially hazardous. Your home should be inspected for it on a regular basis and it should then be removed immediately. Two popular types of this mold include Aspergillus and Stachybotris varieties.
Class B-Usually allergies are caused by this class of mold. Examples of such include Cladosporium, Aspergillus, Penicillium, Alternaria, and Ulocladium. The presence of these allergies occurs as a result of exposure over time.
Class C-This type is less dangerous, as it does not cause health problems in humans or animals. Certain species of Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Ulocladium are among those that are harmless.
Of course, as a precaution any and all mold should be removed. This will help avoid future problems in the event you are not sure of the mold species.
The Removal Process
The process to get rid of black mold is not necessarily an easy one. However, it is a very important task that needs to be done as soon as possible.
Strachybotrys chartarum and aspergillus nigar are two of the most toxic ones that should be removed. These as well as other types of mold include water-soaked ceilings, wall paneling, cardboard, and cotton items can be found in various locations in your home.
Here are some tips to help you successfully remove mold:
- Get rid of any excess moisture in the air that can cause mold to grow.
- Check to see if there are any water leaks, because this could be a source of moisture that keeps mold from coming back.
- Once the water leak is fixed then you can dry the area as thoroughly as possible as many dry towels as it takes.
- An alternative method of getting rid of excess water from leaking pipes would be to use a wet vac.
- Using a dehumidifier in a damp room can help keep mold at bay. You should especially use this in the basement or places 55% humidity or above.
- Remember that it only takes mold an average of 24 to 48 hours for mold to start growing. Therefore, you should make eliminating moisture a regular practice.
- Keep any areas easily susceptible to mold formation clean. For instance, you should sweep or vacuum your basement regularly to keep it as free from dust as possible.
- It is possible for you to clear away mold. It usually helps if you clean each room one at a time and seal the room off one at a time. Plastic sheeting will work for doorways, vents, and other openings.
- An air purifier can help clear out spores of mold that could be still in the air. It removes the dust where the mold spores may be present.
- As far as removal of the mold itself, you should fist mist the area with water. Otherwise, the mold spores could become airborne while cleaning.
- Always clean a mold-infested area thoroughly. You should even do so if no mold appears to be present. Disinfecting the area as often as possible should help.
- Come time to remove mold you should place the mold-infested wiping cloths in a plastic bag and seal it. Dump the mold debris and/or towels used to try a mold-infested area in a plastic bag and tie the bag tight.
- If the mold debris and cleaning rags are sealed tight as possible in a plastic bag, then toss it out a door or window. You can keep it outside until you are ready to dispose of it in a landfill.
In the industrial age, not many had a close contact experience with computers; leave alone the internet which came alongside the computers, as most of the work was done manually even the recording and entry of information in offices. Then came the Information Age, where a lot of people lost their manual jobs as computers made work easier and substituted a significant amount of manpower. In today’s world, almost every individual is computer literate especially among the young generation and so the internet experience has become widespread. A competent internet user will confess to have browsed the web using Internet Explorer (IE) which is the leading browser in terms of being used by the most people with a market share of about (70-80)%. It normally comes permanently installed in the windows operating system which also happens to be the most widely used operating system (OS).
However, the more something is open to public use the more open it also gets to abuse and misuse by the same public. Having a market share of around 80%, the Internet Explorer has also been the main target of continued internet crime.
Disadvantages of using the internet explorer your default browser
- Slow browsing. The big population making use of this IE browser contributes too much internet traffic and slowed browsing speed making it inconvenient and unreliable.
- Escalated crime levels. Many internet hackers and scammers target Internet Explorer as they can access most internet users there. Online accounts are getting hacked every now and then by hackers who have taken advantage of populous browsers like IE to track their victims.
- Less features. IE is not a flexible and customizable browser compared to other smart browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome which offer more features like download managers, pop-up blockers and tabbed browsing.
- Internet explorer is very delicate and open to spyware, obscene online adverts in the form of pop ups and banners as well as harmful drive-by downloads and malware like trojans and viruses
Getting Rid of Internet Explorer Browser
One big challenge when trying to remove Internet Explorer completely from your computer, is the fact that it is tightly integrated into the Windows Operating System, and can therefore cripple your system or make it highly unstable. Other applications and services by Windows such as the Windows Update Service must use the IE’s engine to access and download relevant updates from the Microsoft home website.
It is therefore impossible to remove the IE web browser permanently from your computer but a person seeking a new browsing experience can do so by simply downloading and installing another web browser such as Mozilla Firefox and Opera Mini which are faster, convenient and easier to use. All you need to do is to research alternative web browsers and select one that you wish to install. You should then visit their website to get more information on downloading and application and you are good to go.
Just like a man loves his car and does everything to enhance its appearance and performance, so does a regular internet user in searching for the best applications and browsers to add that sensual feel to the entire browsing experience.
Cars are a symbol of status. The better-looking your vehicle is the more likely you are to be envied by others who see you drive by.
One high priority as far as making your car look like new is to get rid of car rust spots. Removing as many of the rust stains as possible would greatly improve the appearance of your car’s body.
Overall safety can be improved if rust is prevented from forming in areas such as the brake caliper or on floorboards. Preventing rust from forming can also prevent parts of an engine from being stuck together.
Identification of Rust
Rust is formation of red iron oxides. This is a condition that takes place when iron reacts with oxygen when water or condensation hits it.
The rusting usually takes place when water molecules make their way into pits and cracks of exposed metal. It is the hydrogen atoms in the water that combines with other elements to form acids.
This eventually causes more metal to be exposed and then the metal weakens. Then, the portion of rusted surface becomes brittle and it even begins to fall apart.
In fact, it should be noted that rusting could become potentially dangerous. Therefore, prompt action should be taken to remove the rust as soon as possible.
Here are steps to help you get rid of dust:
- Remove the rust as soon as you notice it. This will keep the spots from getting worse. If you take too long to remove the rust it could eventually corrode the entire surface of an area. Removing the rust spot right away also helps prevent it from becoming more noticeable.
- Sand the surface where the rust occurs. Some sandpaper, a wire brush, or some crumpled aluminum foil is perfect for this job. You should start by removing the surface rust flakes so that it is much easier to repair later on.
- Coat the rust surface with an anti-corrosive primer. This is a substance that can help protect metal surfaces from rust. At least one coat but possibly two coats should be applied in order to protect the metal surface from eroding further.
- Paint over the rust primer coat. Try to find as close of a color to what matches your car paint. You could possibly find a rust-preventive paint in the color you need. If you consult your dealer or an auto mechanic that services your kind of vehicle it can better help you find what you are looking for.
An application of phosphoric acid could help turn the rust into a water-soluble compound that can be easily scrubbed off. This substance is available in either a liquid or gel form, and is usually available in most automotive sections of discount stores. It also may be available through a car dealer.
Be careful because this substance used to remove rust can be toxic. You should also note that rust on a muffler system could flake off and cause exhaust circulation problems. Just be very careful.
Taking photographs is a great way to capture the memories of weddings, birthday parties, vacations, and other events. With digital photography taking dominance, capturing memories is even easier than ever before. Digital photography opens up new avenues for capturing memories on camera and for getting them just right.
It happens often that when you go back to look at a picture you realize there is something in there that doesn’t belong. You might wish you had moved the view finder a bit to the right or that you had come at something from a different angle. However, this is easily fixed if you have photography software.
Removing Unwanted Items
You want your pictures to be picture perfect, but it is often difficult to achieve perfection when taking photographs. That is why we need the software that allows us to take that photo and make it perfect. Most digital cameras come with basic photo editing software that will help you remove unwanted items from your pictures. Did you accidentally get your messy living room in the picture of your toddler taking their first steps? Maybe you have to get rid of that horrible red eye that often occurs in pictures. With editing software you can easily remove these unwanted items from your pictures.
Cropping is the easiest way to remove unwanted items from your photographs. It is simple and easy to do, yet works perfectly. It is essentially the same thing as cutting a photograph with scissors. You just drag the edges of the picture until the unwanted items are no longer in the photograph. Click to crop, then save your changes.
Make sure that when you crop a picture you maintain the rule of thirds and keep balance to the photograph. To avoid having to crop pictures, you should carefully examine the frame before clicking that shutter button on your camera. You should also take multiple shots at various angles for backups.
Removing red eye is even easier than cropping. This is the most common unwanted item in a picture, and it is very easy to fix with any photo editing software. The red eye effect occurs when the flash is on your camera and it flashes directly in the eyes of the person you are taking a picture of. To remove red eye, simply go into your photo editing software, zoom onto the part of the picture with red eye, and select the area that has the red eye. Then click the red eye removal button. To avoid red eye you can turn off the flash on your camera when it is not needed for lighting.
In some cases you will need to do more than crop a photo to get unwanted items out of the picture. To do this you will need advanced photo editing software that is capable of cloning, blurring, and patching. Blurring the background of a photo is a great way to hide unwanted items without having to remove them. Select the person or item in the foreground and lock it so that changes will not be made to it. Then, blur the items in the background slowly. Start with a small amount of blurring and work your way up until the unwanted item is no longer noticeable.
Long gone are the days when international communication was such a big problem with people having to use postal mails or making expensive long distance calls to reach their friends, relatives or clients. The advent of computer technology has transformed the world into a global village and nowadays even people from distant or opposite corners of the world can chat one on one using the internet. A student or anyone wishing to do some research wont have to walk into a library or go to school since the internet offers a ready well equipped library for all your research needs. The internet therefore offers a comfortable home for any interested user offering diverse services like games, social networking, music, online shopping, movies and general research.
Regardless of all these benefits of using the internet, it may also turn dangerous when it causes Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD) in an individual. Too much of anything is dangerous and so is the internet as too much of it can result to an obsession. An individual may fall addict of such internet activities like online gaming, chatting, email, blogging, surfing, watching videos, social networks like twitter and listening to music just to mention a few.
The Signs of Internet Addiction
IAD should not be taken lightly as it falls under the category of obsessive-compulsive disorders. It is a craving to indulge in some personally adopted ritual. It manifests itself through visible signs and symptoms such as:
- Increased anxiety if internet is absent
- Constant headaches
- Dry eyes
- Laziness or neglecting other tasks
- Introverted behaviour to spend time online
- Decreased productivity
Effects of Internet Addiction
- Deteriorated and damaged relationships. An individual suffering from Internet Addiction Disorder may find no time and use for friends and family. He or she will tend to sideline the loved ones so as to get ample time with the internet.
- Poor eyesight. The light a computer omits is very powerful and may destroy the eye cells if an individual spends extended periods of time in front of a computer.
- Back pains and weight issues. Work with no play made jack a dull boy. Internet surfing involves no substantial amount of rigorous physical exercise as the only major body movement is movement of the hands when typing. Lack of exercise may result in health complications such as obesity and back pains.
Getting Rid of Internet Addiction
Overcoming any form of addiction is normally a difficult process which requires high levels of personal discipline and commitment. Some steps you can follow to get rid of internet addiction include:
- Do a personal assessment of all your online activities and seek to find out exactly which one of them has addicted you. Recovering from any addiction always starts with identifying the exact problem.
- Examine your past behaviour since the addiction started and figure out the negative effects that has impacted to you.
- Identify the benefits you stand to gain by reduced internet activity which could be improved relations or improved health.
- Develop a reforming schedule. List all activities you need to do every day and allocate time for each. Always go online after accomplishing all the set tasks and don’t overspend time there as well. Always leave enough time for sleep.
- Develop self discipline and stick to the set schedule. When you fill tempted to over engage in the internet, get a quick reminder of the harmful effects of Internet Addiction Disorder and immediately switch to the set schedule.
Internet has undoubtedly brought new life to the world. Internet is the sewing fabric holding the globe together and is very crucial for any individual or organisation that wishes to be up to date with world occurrences. However, too much of it can turn fatal and so much care should be taken by all internet users to make sure one doesn’t fall addict.
Junk is often one of those things that you often cannot escape wasting. However, while you take time to get rid of junk it helps to have a system.
One of the most common ways to eliminate the presence of items in your home no longer needed is to make two piles. These two piles usually are the “keep pile” and “toss pile” categories.
Of course, you could get two large or boxes to use for this purpose. You may in fact need more than box one of each for keeping or throwing away.
After you have sorted your belongings into “keep” and “toss” piles you should then get rid of your junk using one or more of the following suggestions:
- Sell your stuff online. It may not be literally “junk” but rather just items you no longer need. This is often true of old furniture or old books you no longer want. You can even sometimes sell items for which you would never expect to receive money. For instance, a broken television or collection of pots and pans or set of oven mitts could make a profit for you.
- Donate items you no longer want/need. Your favorite charity may own a thrift store to which you can bring unwanted items. The Salvation Army, St. Vincent De Paul, and Goodwill are all examples of thrift stores where you can bring items. You could also bring clothing and household items to smaller consignment shops where you would make a percentage of the profit.
- Organize a neighborhood rummage sale. This is not only fun but it will also build up the moral of your block. Everyone on your street can participate. It also could be fun to get family members or church groups involved. Sometimes neighborhood garage and yard sales are intended for use as a fundraiser.
- Pay a service to haul your junk away. Sometimes it might be too much of a load for your local pick-up service. This is one reason why paying a special service to haul your junk away may be necessary. 1-800-GOT-JUNK is one service that is available, and there is TrashBusters and others.
Hazardous Substance Disposal
It can be dangerous to your family and the environment if you dispose of hazardous materials unsafely. There are different standards for disposing of items such as car batteries, cleaning chemicals, used oil, or electronics equipment. You should receive instruction from your local municipality concerning these as well as other hazardous materials.
The reason it helps to learn as much as possible about how to dispose of these harmful substances is to safe landfill space. It also lessens chance of water and ground contamination.
Your local environmental organizations might also have free info on how to properly get rid of certain substances. You might also want to find out where to safely throw old auto and bike tires, as rubber is one very useful commodity.
You may also want to find alternative uses for items you no longer use for the original purpose. For instance, an old single mattress or formerly-used baby or toddler bed mattress could be used as a dog or cat bed.
Plastic bags can be used not only as spare garbage bags but they also can be used in the creation of new craft projects. You would in fact be surprised at how many uses there are for plastic bags.
It is in your best interest to do what you can to prevent or get rid of freezer burn. That way, you can keep your food for as long as possible after purchasing it, hunting it, or harvesting it.
Then what you do with the stored food is up to you. In any case, you should be able to learn something from the following article sections.
Why Freeze Food?
Food often is placed in the freezer to help keep it for longer times without addition of preservatives or additives. Sometimes all that is needed is a partial cooking process (usually referred to as blanching).
One advantage of freezing is that it kills bacteria that cause foods to spoil quicker. It also helps prevent the kinds of pathogens that allow e.coli, botulism, or other food poisons to grow.
About Freezer Burn
When food is said to be “freezer burnt” usually it is because the food is discolored in some way. Usually the cause of the discoloration is formation of ice crystals due to condensation. Usually this has eroded the food.
Freezer burnt foods are still safe to eat. However, the taste of the food is usually not that great and quality of the food is not that high. Therefore, you should find a way to prevent freezer burn if you can. At the very least you may be looking for a way to prolong this process.
Freezer Burn Prevention
Freezer burn can be prevented in a number of ways. You should try to use as many of these methods of frozen food preservation as possible.
Here are some preventative tips:
- You should pack your food as air tight as possible. This will stop air from entering your food, thus reduced chance of water condensation also would occur. Plastic zip lock bags and plastic containers would help.
- Set your freezer on as cold of a setting as possible. This will ensure maximum preservation time of your food. This should allow you to keep your food for longer times.
- Let food cool down before freezing it. This is especially important if your food is just being cooked. You should allow the food to cool as close to room temperature as possible because it will keep the freezer cold. It will also prevent bacterial buildup.
- Keep some “breathing room” inside your freezer. Make sure there is enough space on the top and sides of the freezer. This will help provide air circulation and it will also keep the temperature inside the freezer as stable as possible. You can measure space about as wide as your hand all the way around.
- Rotate your food. For most frozen foods about three to six months of rotation time is recommended. This will drastically reduce chance of freezer burn. It also ensures maximum freshness when time to eat the food.
You may run across other tips to help you preserve your frozen foods for longer times. Use whatever you think is best and whatever you think applies to your situation.