Unless you have never had fruit or water in your house, you have had fruit flies. If fact, they seem to appear almost magically if you leave so much as one strawberry out and let it over-ripen. It is not just fruit either, they also like spoiled vegetables. Basically they just love old produce and once they are around the can be a little tough to get rid of.
Luckily, because they are such a common pest there have been some unique methods created to handle them and they all use things around the house. Some get rid of the quickly while others work with a trap.
The trap method
To make you own trap all you will need is a funnel, a jar, and bait. The flies are drawn down the funnel by the bait and into the jar. The, either because they are not too bright or because they are happy there, they remain in the jar untill they die. The jar and the funnel can be of any type so the big difference is in the bait. Here are some of the most common ones used.
- Toothpaste. This is an odd bait method that most likely came about because people saw fruit fly hanging around their toothbrush. What they did not realize was that it was the water on the brush and not the toothpaste itself. In the end, toothpaste doesn’t work.
- Apple cider vinegar. This is an old method of baiting fruit fly traps and it does work but with mixed results. If you want to make it more effective then you should try warming up the vinegar first. Warm vinegar is much more aromatic that vinegar that has not been. This is recommended bait because it works and it is cheap.
- Wine. Wine, especially red wine, works very well. It is similar to both vinegar and to fruit. If you have ever left the cap or cork off your red wine bottle you will know how well it works, even if you don’t want it to.
- Banana liqueur. This is not something you want to go out and buy because it has such a limited number of uses but if you have some left over from making Bananas Foster then give it a try, it does work well.
- Tequila. This works better than you might think. The fruit flies seem to be attracted to the fermented agave smell.
- Rotten fruit. This works well but has its down sides. One is that you have to look at rotten fruit in a jar. The second is that rotten fruit is what they breed in.
- Hair dryer. This might be a great method if all you did was aim the hair dryer at them and they went “poof!” This is not the case. You need to get the fruit flies close enough to the intake to get sucked in and then hit a heating element. This assumes that they do not get caught on the screens on the way in. Besides, you are going to look silly chasing fruit flies around your kitchen with a hair dryer. You should pass on this method.
- Incense. Oddly, fruit fly lungs can’t handle incense smoke so they just drop dead. Unfortunately many people have a similar reaction. If you do happen to like incense, this might be just the solution for you.
If you have fruit flies they are not impossible to get rid of, you just have to find the method you like the best.
Does one of your toes hurt every time you walk? Chances are you have an ingrown toenail. Most of the time people learning how to get rid of ingrown nails are attempting to figure out how to correct pains in the big toe.
However, it can happen to any toe on the foot. This problem is not limited to the feet though. It can occur on one of your fingernails. Just read very carefully and learn how to deal with this problem.
Here are some practical ways of getting rid of an ingrown nail:
- Soak it and cushion it. All you need is a few teaspoons of salt mixed in a small pale or dish pan. Mix these ingredients together and then let your affected nail sit in the solution for up to 15 minutes per day.
You should also soak a cotton ball in a separate prepared bowl of salt water. Then, take that cotton ball and use it as a cushion to help protect the nail.
This especially works on ingrown toenails you want to treat at home. This process can help prevent further pain associated with wearing shoes or walking.
- Wear roomier footwear. Tighter shoes or sandals can push against an ingrown toenail and make the problem worse. If y ou want to diminish pain, make sure you have enough room in your shoe to wear comfortable socks. Your feet should be snug in the socks and shoes but not smashed up against the shoes you are wearing.
- Seek out relief using a topical antibiotic or pain reliever. A topical cream is one that you would rub right on the surface of the affected area. This will help moisten and loosen the ingrown nail so that removal of it becomes easier as well as less painful.
Another remedy to use would be to apply a pain reliever. Even an over-the-counter medicine would be very helpful in the event the affected nail growth is causing excruciating pain. If you need a pain killer, this is a sign that you will need to talk to a doctor to get the nail removed.
- Inspect your toes (and your fingers) regularly. Sometimes ingrown nails are more prevalent among diabetic patients. You should do self-checks to make sure you have no infections and you should consult a doctor just in case the problem is far more serious.
Here are some more medically-oriented treatments available for ingrown nails:
- Try a Phenol application. Of course, this procedure should be only performed under the supervision of a doctor. This process involves the use of an anesthesia that is injected at the base of the nail. The phenol substance that is applied is a colorless crystalline substance that helps reduce risk of ingrown nail recurrence.
- Undergo partial or complete nail removal. To accomplish the partial nail removal process, the doctor would use a procedure called nail ablation otherwise known as wedge resection. After a local anesthesia is injected into the affected toe (or finger) the skin that is pierced by the nail is cut.
- Try Funginix – It also called Fungisil is designed to not only treat the fungus, but can also be used as a way to prevent it from returning. FUNGINIX is the complete topical treatment created to fight and eliminate the fungal infections of the finger and toe areas including regions under and around the toenails.
If partial nail removal is out of the question, the entire nail may need to be cut off. This can be done in about 10 minutes. The process for doing so is similar to that of cutting off the partial nail. The only disadvantage of complete nail removal is that the nail could grow back thicker or it could become deformed.
If you are told you have tinnitus it does not mean you are going crazy. This is just a fancy way of saying you have ringing in your ears.
Oftentimes this condition occurs as a result of hearing too sound of audio or music sounds, or it is a result of stress. Tinnitus is usually temporary but if you do not take care of your ears it could be a sign of permanent ear loss.
In any case to learn how to remove the ringing in your ears may require one or more of the following preventative or treatment actions:
- Wear earplugs. This will help prevent permanent hearing loss. You are advised to wear earplugs at loud concerts, around high-pitch machines, or any place where the sound is above normal.
You are even advised to wear earplugs when running a lawnmower, using a hair dryer, or other loud household appliances. Earplugs in this situation are especially helpful if the decibel level of such equipment or appliances is above normal.
- Turn down the volume of your music or TV. Of course, the hope is that you have not yet lost your hearing. Keep in mind that any noises over 70 decibels can cause loss of hearing. Therefore, as long as you have good hearing now you may want to preserve your ears by lowering the volume levels of your music station, home theatre, DVD player, or TV.
- Avoid using cotton swabs in your inner ear. This could cause eardrum damage. An alternative inner ear cleaning method involves using the spray hydrogen peroxide and/or some water. Just spray some of this substance in each ear while your head is tipped upward.
Listen for it to bubble, then tip your ear so the peroxide/water solution drips out (preferably into the sink). You could also use clean water in a spray bottle and/or use gentle shower water to clean out your ear. This will help protect you more from eardrum damage.
Earmuffs are another option of protection if earplugs are not available. Also, one of the advantages of wearing the muffs versus the gloves is that they are not inserted into your ear. This reduces chance of damage to your middle or inner ear.
Some places not mentioned yet where you should wear ear protection include at sporting event stadiums or on hunting property. When at your job site, you should also consider reading the OSHA regulations printed up tht pertain to ear protection.
This will help you be certain that you are following employee and state guidelines concerning workplace safety. This will save you and your company time and hassle that often results in workplace compensation lawsuits.
If you suffer tinnitus for any significant time (longer than a few days especially) you should consult your doctor. A hearing test may be necessary, and this would be a perfect time for a total checkup.
Notice also that sometimes ringing of the ears occurs when you have a cold. You might also notice that when your sinuses are stuffed up you suffer temporary hearing loss. All this should be made aware to your doctor.
Tendinitis is the inflammation and pain that occurs when the tendons that hold the muscles to the bones are stressed or weakened. This could be the result of years of wear and tear, or it could be as a result of a current injury.
Either way, it would help you immensely to learn how to get rid of tendinitis before it ruins your life. If the tendons in your leg, arms, joints, back, or other area are sore and inflamed you are advised to see a doctor.
A professional medical example can be used to assess the seriousness of the injury or condition. If the pain is unbearable you may even need to make an emergency room visit.
Until you see a doctor it helps to educate yourself on how to get rid of tendinitis:
- Get some rest until the soreness, pain or inflammation subsides. Whether your Achilles tendon is affected, or you are placing too much stress on your hands (or other area) you should get some rest. At the very least, you should minimize use of the area that is sore. However, if you can refrain from physical activity and heavy lifting for a minimum of 24 hours it can make a difference.
- Treat the affected area with an ice pack (or cold compress). Either take a bag of frozen vegetables out of the freezer or fill up a bag of ice cubes. You could use one of these two items or you can use a frozen ice pack substitute to help soothe swollen or pained tendons. You could also prepare a frozen or cold towel and set that on the inflamed muscle/bone location
- Use a painkiller (in moderation). You need to be careful because painkillers can be habit forming. However, when used appropriately according to dosage instructions they can diminish the uncomfortableness, swelling, and pain.
- You could also try a topical pain reliever or ointment. One with that has menthol properties in it would be best, because this can be used to help sooth the pain. This solution would even be helpful even the pain will not subside permanently.
- Talk to your doctor about nitrous oxide therapy. This is a procedure that works well for reparation of injured, ripped, or snapped tendons. This substance is administered by way of a patch that is applied to the skin right above the sore or inflamed tendon.
The solution of this patch is absorbed into the skin and then distributed into the bloodstream. Within several minutes, the nitric oxide begins to relieve the tendinitis pain.
- Consider physical therapy. This is one of the actions that may not even require prescription or non-prescription medicine. You may even be able to avoid the expense and pain of surgical procedures if you can restore your tendon by using prescribed exercises. This is a long-term treatment that is more likely than not to produce permanent results.
Incontinence is an issue that often is regarded as an issue of old age. However, people of any age could experience this kind of discomfort. If you want to learn how to get rid of incontinence, the answer may only be a few paragraphs away.
You could suffer from either urinary or fecal incontinence. The urinary incontinence of course is the inability to control the bladder. In this case, usually you would end up urinating involuntarily and sometimes you would in the most inappropriate places.
The fecal incontinence is similar to the urinary incontinence. The main difference obviously is that you would be at high risk of involuntarily releasing fecal matter in inappropriate places, rather than just urine.
This could be the result of stress, or it could be a cause of another medical problem. In any case, you should talk to your doctor about treatment options.
Here is how to get rid of incontinence, either with or without doctor’s help (preferably with doctor’s help):
- Perform Kegel exercises. These kind of routines are more than just for enhancing your sexual pleasure (which is what these repetitions are usually use for). Kegel exercises help strengthen your pelvic muscles and as a result your urination can be held.
The basic premise of this kind of exercise is to contract the muscles as if you were trying to stop from peeing. Just squeeze for one to three seconds at time, and then release. Try repeating these exercises for one to three sets doing 10 to 15 repetition at a time, doing them up to three times a day
- Seek doctor-prescribed medicinal treatment. A variety of medicines are available by way of a doctor’s prescription. The anticholinergic drugs (i.e. darifenacin, solifenacin, oxybutyinin, tolterodine) help reduce incontinence urge by relaxing the bladder.
The above medicines help resolve a number of cases. However, in certain cases your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic. This often is necessary if your condition causes a urinary tract infection (UTI).
The antidepressant imipramine may also be beneficial to you, as it can relax your bladder. It often is used in conjunction with other medications that are used to treat incontinence.
- Undergo surgical treatment. After careful consideration, surgery may be the answer. Usually the goal of this routine is to reposition a bladder that is not aligned properly. This particular procedure can also help correct certain defects and if the bladder needs to be enlarged this process can be accomplished during this time.
- There is also the sling procedure. This surgical process helps especially for women who suffer from stress incontinence (inability to hold oneself while coughing, sneezing, laughing, exercising, or lifting). This involves removal of a piece of abdominal tissue and then placing this tissue under the urethra, thus preventing leakage.
- Undergo a material bulking procedure. This is also is a type of surgery. In this case, the sphincter’s seal would be tightened and bulking materials such as sugars, collagen, and carbon beads would be used to help build up the area around the urethra.
- Use bowel training procedures. This process usually requires teaching you to relieve your bowels after each meal. Once you start going to the bathroom after scheduled meals on a regular basis your body’s rhythm will be adjusted.
- Try biofeedback training. This routine is often used in conjunction with bowel training procedures. During biofeedback sessions, a probe is inserted into your anus. This registers muscle activity. It also helps to strengthen your anal area so you have more control over when you expel feces.
- Use over-the-counter medications. You can try medications that are normally meant for treating diarrhea. Loperamide is one of those that seems to work. You could also try a laxative as it can help regulate your bowel movements. Just be careful because too much laxatives can cause “the runs.”
Additional Ways to Get Rid of Incontinence:
You could also receive one of a variety of alternative medical procedures. For instance, if you undergo a sphincteroplasty the doctor can seek out injured areas of the anal sphincter and free the outside edges of it.
However, the above procedure may not be enough. Sometimes an artificial sphincter might need to be inserted in place of the real one in the event the real sphincter cannot be repaired.
One more medical treatment option is also available in the event no other solution has been reached. The colostomy is usually the last resort for patients as it requires an uncomfortable action. A bag is attached to a hole where the feces would be eliminated, rather than the feces passing through the traditional anal route.
Teeth grinding (a.k.a. Bruxism) is a common problem. In fact, in America alone over 40 million people suffer from this condition. Therefore learning how to eliminate teeth grinding is a topic in high demand.
This advice will never replace professional doctor’s or dentist’s advice. It will, however, will supplement the advice you are given because it serves as a practical explanation. This is especially helpful in the event you may not understand all the language that your dentist or doctor uses.
Almost everyone has ground their teeth at one point in life. Most of the time people would grind their teeth at night. However, for certain individuals this problem has taken over their lives.
This problem does not occur without consequences. For instance, sometimes grind their teeth so often that it wears down the teeth and enamel, and as a result it causes cavities.
There are many reasons people grind their teeth, and here are some ways to get rid of grinding teeth:
- Cut down on alcohol use before bed. When you drink beer, wine, brandy or other strong drink it can lead to nerve recepter damage. This leads to nervous activity, one of which of course is grinding the upper and lower jaws together.
- Set a regular sleep pattern. Waking up and going to sleep at the same time every day will help keep your circulatory and nervous systems working properly. A regular wake-up and bedtime schedule will help you feel more rested. This is what helps your body function more the way it should. The reason why is sleeping reduces stress that causes the grinding.
- Get a mouth guard. This device acts as a barrier to help prevent your upper and lower teeth from making contact. These guards are usually designed custom to fit in your mouth according to the shapes of each tooth and jaw. Other names for this kind of device include dental splints or polymer device.
- Try Botox treatment under doctor’s supervision. Suprinsingly, Botox is not just for people who want to improve their physical appearance. People have had jaw injections of this substance to help relax the jaw muscles during stressful times. This works as well as this procedure is guided carefully and this process is done in moderation.
Of course, you should see a doctor or dentist if your teeth have already been damaged as a result of grinding them too much. The most efficient path to repair will be required in your case and treatment usually involves medication or surgery, but it could include physical therapy.
However, as a precautionary measure you may want to consult a dentist during your regular checkups. Being honest about your habit before it does damage your teeth can help the dental professional devise the right prevention plan.
If you are concerned about your teeth grinding problem you should ask your doctor or dentist as many questions as possible about the situation. This is your best resource regarding this particular issue. However, it never hurts to receive an explanation about this concern from a non-medical point of view, and that is the intention of the above information.
You must know at least one person in your life that snores so loud you thought it was Paul Bunyan in your bed. The worst case is when you have multiple people in your house who suffer this same problem.
The worse the snoring problem the more chance that it is a result of a sleeping or breathing disorder. Sleep apnea is one huge concern and there are other problems that cause snoring. Therefore, you should really find a way to get rid of snoring as soon as possible.
Here are some ways to get rid of snoring, depending on the cause (i.e. Weakened throat muscles, misformed jaw, excess alcohol use, respiratory problems):
- Sit upright, or flat (but not partially upward). Either prop yourself up with the pillows to sit upright, or take away your pillows completely. Either way your upper respiratory system would work better than if only your neck and not your whole back was propped up.
- Sleep on your side, and not your back. This will help lessen the amount of pressure that you would put on your spine and neck muscles. The only exception is if you already sleep on your side and you still snore.
It depends on how you position your body as far as which of these two ways works the best. Whatever you do, never lay on your stomach and/or with your head facing down. This can worsen your breathing problems.
- Stop using tobacco/smoking cigarettes. The more you smoke the more chance you have of having phlegm or other substances obstruct your air flow. If you want to clear your respiratory tract you are advised to stop smoking as soon as possible.
Of course, the additional benefit of smoking cessation is that your whole health is improved. You can prevent possibility of upper respiratory cancer and tumors.
- Seek doctor’s consultation as soon as possible. If you or your partner notices that you are having trouble breathing and it is the main cause of snoring, see a doctor. You should seek help as soon as possible just in case you have trouble breathing due to a sleep disorder. You could even save your life when you see a doctor because you can receive proper treatment.
- Seek alternative medicinal treatment. Breathing problems and snoring could even be the side effect of a prescription or non-prescription medicine. Just in case this could be the cause of your night-time breathing problems, consult your doctor. It may be time to seek alternative options for medicinal treatment.
Importance of Receiving Treatment
When you receive treatment for snoring you improve your whole quality of life. For instance, you are able to sleep better as you will be less likely to wake yourself up in the middle of the night.
Your relationships will improve as well because you will not keep other people up in the middle of the night. There are many reasons to seek a way to get rid of snoring as soon as possible.
Stomach cramps occur for a variety of reasons, one of which is trying to run or swim after eating or drinking. Menstruation or pregnancy might also cause this uncomfortableness.
Oftentimes these cramps are very minor. However, before you learn how to get rid of stomach cramps on your own you should see a doctor.
One other cause of pains in this part of your abdominal area is more serious. In the event it could be the result of internal infection and bleeding, you should be checked out by a doctor right away.
After seeing a doctor, it would help you to learn how to get rid of stomach cramps at home:
- Try clear soda or seltzer water. The standards such as 7-Up, Sierra Mist, or Sprite can help. It is the carbonation that helps sooth the stomach. You could also try seltzer water (unsweetened carbonated water otherwise known as club soda) would help.
- Use baking soda. This has a similar effect as would indigestion (heartburn) medicines. It soothes your stomach in a similar way as would the club soda or white carbonated soft drinks. The plan usually is to help create flow of air to create a “burping” action which can calm your upset stomach.
- Try an over-the-counter medication. Antacid medications such as Pepto-Bismol, Alka-Seltzer, or Milk of Magnesia can help sooth your stomach cramps. However, just make sure you are not allergic to these medications. Discuss the ingredients of these with your doctor if you have any doubts.
- Try a heating pad. This works excellent for stomach cramps caused by menstruation. One very important aspect of this is to lay on the heating pad rather than placing it directly on your stomach. Otherwise, you could become dizzy and nautious.
- Try a painkiller. Be careful and talk to your doctor about the use of these drugs. If it is a prescription only take it as instructed. Furthermore, talk to your doctor about which over-the-counter solution would be right for you before you use it.
- Have your stomach gently massaged. This will help loosen up your muscles in the right places. It will also help encourage air to flow through your stomach to release gas when necessary. You can either hire a professional or just have a friend or family member do this.
- Do abdominal and aerobic exercises. You can try half-crunches and stretch routines. Just do not try full crunches. Otherwise, you could damage your back in the process. After doing ab crunches and stretching repetitions you can do aerobics. The face-paced movements will help enhance blood flow to your stomach area and as a result your cramps could be loosened.
Stomach cramps can be prevented with some simple guidance. One main way to prevent or get rid of stomach cramps and never have them return would be to learn what foods to avoid.
For instance, some people are allergic to dairy (lactose intolerant) so they should refrain from eating dairy as much as possible. Certain acidic fruits (i.e. oranges) or vegetables (i.e. onions, garlic) could also cause cramping and/or indigestion.
It might also not be in your best interest to keep eating beyond the point of being full. You should be especially cautious of this when eating at a buffet restaurants.
Nightmares are those dreams that you would rather not have. These bad dreams often result for a variety of reasons, such as past trauma or apprehension of the future.
Watching horror movies especially late at night could also be a reason. Taking certain medications and even eating certain foods can also cause bad dreams.
However, you can get rid of nightmares using a few practical steps. Several ideas for helping you eliminate bad dreams are shown in the next few sections.
Just like dreams, nightmares usually occur during the REM stages of sleep. Sometimes you can have the same terrible dream repeatedly or you may only have it once. You may not remember your dreams all the time, but the ones you do recall are often marked by horror.
If you want to get rid of nightmares you should do one or more of the following:
- Find out why you are having nightmares. One way you cant figure out what the meaning of your nightmare is would be to write it down as soon as you wake up. You are advised to record even bad dreams that occur repeatedly, because each scene may be slightly varied.
- Ask for interpretation of your dreams. You might get some insight from a dream interpreter, minister, friend, or psychologist. When you receive an interpretation of your dream you might receive some kind of insight. This analysis It may help you resolve some issues from your past and in order to help you get past childhood traumas
- Seek dream therapy. This kind of treatment usually involves changing and rehearsing an alternative ending of the dream while still awake. That way, the chance of the dream turning out with a bad ending is lessened.
It could take some time to seek resolution this way. However, the outcome could be more permanent (in some cases) than it would be if you tried to use medication.
- Change your before bedtime habits. One major way to stop nightmares is to watch what you eat and drink before you go to bed. One thing you should do is stop drinking too much caffeine before bedtime. You should also be careful not to eat too much before you go to sleep and especially avoid eating too many high-fat foods before you go to sleep.
- Avoid watching scary movies before bed. This advice is especially helpful if you have small children who have had nightmares. However, even you as a adult may want to indulge in your horror fix much earlier in the day than right before bed.
- Try medications if other therapies do not work. Medicines such as topiramate, nefazodone, and gabapentin are often very helpful. They work very well for women suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. These medications are experimental only and should only be taken with a doctor’s prescription.
Of course, you should seek doctor’s consultation if you are in need of additional treatment advice. Professional help can assure that you receive the right solution in your case.
Do you ever feel like you have to vomit every two minutes or so? Yet, in the process you never seem to throw up?
This uncomfortable limbo can keep you guessing. It is time to learn how to get rid of nausea. The first step is identifying the causes.
Motion sickness while traveling or sailing is one huge reason that nausea occurs. Other causes of nausea include pregnancy, food poisoning, infections, alcoholic intoxication, carbon monoxide poisoning, anxiety, stress, and medications. Poor circulation can also cause feelings of queasiness in a person.
- Try an over-the-counter anti-nausea medication. Dramamine and Bonine are a couple that work well for this purpose. These types of medicines work best for treating nausea caused by travel or motion sickness.
- Use relaxation and breathing exercises. If you feel as if you are going to vomit and the cause is poor circulation, taking a series of deep and slow breaths would help. Breath slowly through the nose and then exhale through the mouth.
Prepare a saline (salt water) or menthol vapor. One of these two solutions mixed together could be used during the inhalation and exhalation (breathing)exercises. Breathing in one of these substances can calm your stomach and can reduce or eliminate queasiness.
- Drink plenty of liquids. Water is the best source of comfort if you are nauseated. However, any beverage that does not have caffeine in it can help immensely.
Sipping on ginger ale or sucking on ice chips also could help sooth your stomach, and so can certain sugary drinks. However, when nauseated try to avoid orange juice, coffee, and other acidic substances.
- Use an herbal or natural solution. Ginseng, peppermint, or chamomile are some of the better-known natural stomach soothers. It is the menthol components of these herbs that calms nausea symptoms.
- Eat soothing foods. Crackers, gelatin, toast, or other non-acidic and absorbent foods can help calm your stomach. These foods work because they help strengthen your stomach
- Get some rest. This will help in the event your nausea is caused by motion sickness, infection, or food poisoning. Lying down works better than sitting or standing, but any kind of rest is better than no rest. Therefore, get as much rest as possible.
- Seek doctor’s help if symptoms worsen. If you have tried to treat the nausea with one of the treatments described above and it did not work, see a doctor. This is advised because sometimes nausea is the result of a far more serious condition.
More Facts about Motion Sickness
Since motion sickness is one main causes of nausea, further explanation regarding the facts surrounding this condition are presented to you. Usually motion sickness is the difference between actual movement and perceived movement.
Sometimes actual vomiting does occur when you have motion sickness. This may be because your body is somehow convinced you are physically sick. Either way, the above treatments should work.