Dreadlocks may be “cool” in the eyes of your classmates. However, your mom and your grandmother may not share that sentiment, and neither might some employers.
Therefore, if you want to get rid of your dreadlocks it may be to your advantage. You need to get rid of them especially if they are the kinds of dreads that are not even well-maintained.
What are Dreadlocks?
This is a situation in which your hair is all knotted up, either purposely or by accident. It sometimes is formed into dreads if you do not comb it often. However, usually today it is purposely dreaded when you go to a hair stylist.
Removal of Dreads
The removal of dreadlocks is done in a number of ways. One way to do so is to cut them out at the roots. However, this could be painful if not done right. Therefore, professional assistance during the removal process is recommended.
- Soften your hair somehow. One way to help this cutting process is to soften your hair with some shampoo and conditioner. It just makes the entire dreadlock removal process much easier.
- Cut them out. Another way to make this process easier is to let your natural hair grow out a bit so there is room to cut. You are more than likely going to have to wear very short hair if you choose this option.
- Pick them out. This is a rather time-consuming process because you have to dig through every single strand of hair in every single lock on your head. You also have to unravel the dreads all the way from the ends of your hair on up to the roots. This could take you days, but it may be helpful if you do not want to have to cut your hair super-short.
- Use a removal kit. Another option open to people is to use some kind of emergency removal kit to get rid of your dreads. The special ingredients in this kit can make the dreadlock removal process easier and more convenient. It might only take you a few hours or half a day versus two or three days.
- Get them professionally removed. This in fact may be your best option in the event you do not want to damage your hair. It also would be the one way that would allow you to be less likely to have your hair done without hurting yourself.
Some more Thoughts
Sad but true, after Bob Marley (you know the famous singer with the long dreads) died different species of lice were found in his hair. This is one disadvantage of having dreads. It can be very unsanitary, and it can be very hard to get rid of after it is in the dreads.
You should also beware that apparently the dreaded-hair look is actually not as in style as it used to be. Yes, there is still a reggae crowd but it is not quite as extensive as it used to be.