While serious ailments can be tackled with surgery, operations and various treatments, it is some trivial physical conditions that can give people more annoyance at times. One such example is skin irritation. It can happen in many forms and sometimes can be a precursor to serious skin infections as well. While skin type, immunity and environment play a big role behind its onset, nearly anyone from a kid to a senior citizen can become subjected to skin rashes, spots and irritation. Not all types of skin irritation can be visible to the eyes though.
Main Causes of Skin Irritation
Itchy skin can be caused by a number of factors. The most commonplace ones are:-
- Insect bite
- Allergies caused by food or air
- Usage of chemical laden skincare/cosmetics products
Ways To Get Rid of Itchy Skin
It is not always necessary to run to a dermatologist or doctors for all skin itch or irritation types, unless it is caused by poison. Below listed are some simple yet effective options to get rid of skin rash and itching:
Lemon and Aloe vera- Lemon can be good for your scalp and it is also effective in giving relief from skin itching. Apply lemon juice to the body part affected by itching and leave it on for some time. Similarly, you can find relief from skin irritations by applying Aloe vera extract or gel. Aloe vera can soothe and nourish skin.
Baking Soda– When the skin itching is caused by insect bites or venoms, using baking soda can be useful. Mix baking soda in warm water. Then bathe in it, to get relief.
Bathing with Milk and Oatmeal– Blend some oatmeal with thickened milk and use it as a natural scrub while bathing. It can be used with lukewarm water to cleanse skin surface.
Peppermint Oil- You can use peppermint oil to soothe irritated skin. Pour a few drops of peppermint essential oil to lukewarm water when you bathe.
Effective Medications To Treat Itchy Skin
At times, you may not have the required herbs, oils or extracts to apply on itching skin. In such situations, resort to the following effective medications and methods:
- Powder with 2% salicylic acid. Try it after bathing on the affected skin parts.
- If skin itching is caused by fungus, especially on the foot, visit a dermatologist.
- Antihistamines are sometimes used to reduce skin itching, but they can trigger drowsiness.
General Precautions To Prevent Skin Itching
The saying- ‘prevention is better than cure’ is applicable for skin itching as well. When you know that your skin is sensitive, using suitable skincare and grooming product is recommended.
- Refrain from using any soap, gel, skin cream or lotion that contains chemicals you are allergic to.
- Before buying skin care products and toiletries, read the ingredients label carefully.
- It is best if you can stick to herbal and organic products for skin. These may be costlier than OTC skin care products, but they usually come without chemicals. This ensures less chance of skin rashes and irritation.
- At times, bacterial infection is caused by working in places with unhygienic conditions and touching things with bare hands. You may use disposable gloves for protecting hands from contamination.
- It makes sense to carry a hand sanitizer spray or lotion when you go out. This will reduce chances of catching any infection through touch.
- Consumption of Foods and beverages that you are allergic to can also result in skin rashes.
Evade Skin Irritations Caused By Shaving
Some skin irritations, especially in men, are used by shaving habits. It can be caused by factors like razors, shaving gel/cream or skin sensitivity. Resort to the following methods to reduce chances of shaving induced skin irritation:
- Do not shave after getting up in the morning unless it is absolutely necessary. Wait till your skin becomes softened after bathing. A warm shower softens skin and makes it well prepared for shaving.
- Exfoliate your facial skin with natural scrubs once a week to sweep away dead skin, enabling smoother shave.
- Use an after shave nourishing lotion suitable for your skin to reduce post shave burning feeling. It happens to people with sensitive skin.
Skin irritations can be set at ease by these simple yet effective home remedies and tips. If one does not work, try the other. Often a combination of more than one remedy does wonders at relieving itching, burning and other symptoms of a skin infection or irritation.