Have you experienced those pesky times when you got rid of unwanted hair only to have irritation, redness and yucky bumps a day or two later? Well, ingrown hairs can be a pain but there are ways to prevent them from popping up so all is not lost! You can also try to get rid of the ones you have now; how awesome is that!
Tips to Prevent Ingrown Hairs
Both men and women suffer from ingrown hairs after they shave and they can be most annoying. However, the good news is that you can prevent them from occurring by taking a few simple steps. Here are helpful tips to help you prevent ingrown hairs:
- Soften skin and hair before shaving: Yes, an effective way to prevent ingrown hairs is to prep your skin before you shave. Try using a gentle scrub on the area you are going to shave. This will help get rid of dead skin so that you can have a cleaner and smoother shave. Your hair will also be pointed out of the skin for a better shave. Wait a while after your shower to shave as the heat and steam will help soften your hair, making it easier for you to shave properly.
- Change your razor: If you have been using a razor with old blades, it is probably what is causing the ingrown hairs. Old blades tend to breed bacteria and that will have a bad effect on your skin. They are also dull, making it impossible for you to properly shave your hair. If you still have problems with ingrown hairs after changing your blade, you should definitely consider trying out other types of razors or hair removal systems.
- Use proper shaving techniques: Although you may not think about it much, the pressure you put on your razor while shaving and the technique you use has an effect on your skin. Improper shaving technique and too much pressure can cause ingrown hairs. Shaving with the grain helps in preventing irritation of the skin and points hair out of the skin. You should avoid shaving the same area too often as it will only remove skin cells and cause irritation of the skin around that area.
- Leave your razor for a few days: One of the best ways to get rid of ingrown hairs is to let them grow out. Many people, especially women, often cringe at the thought of not shaving once their hairs start growing back but it is an effective method if you want to prevent ingrown hairs. Once the hair has grown and you can shave again, use the tips above to make sure that the problem does not bother you again.
- Try laser hair removal: Many people who have persistent problems with ingrown hairs have tried laser hair removal therapy with positive results. This method of hair removal can help immensely in reducing the number of ingrown hairs. It will not permanently remove the hair on your body but will definitely provide effective relief from this annoying problem for months, maybe even years!
- Use shaving gel or foam: Shaving gels, foams and creams are formulated to help give you a smooth and clean shave. They also have moisturizing properties that keep your skin soft and prevent ingrown hairs. These products also lubricate your skin while you shave which is great as it affects the occurrence of ingrown hairs.
Once ingrown hairs occur, you need to treat the area as soon as possible to prevent discomfort and even pain. If there is an infection, you should immediately consult a dermatologist so that an antibiotic can be prescribed to cure the infection and provide relief. Topical antibiotic creams are often prescribed in many cases of infected ingrown hairs. Cortisone creams and glycolic acid creams are some of the prescription remedies that are used for this condition.
To make sure that you do not go through the irritation and pain that comes with ingrown hairs, take proper precautions before you shave. Always make sure that you use good quality products and practice proper sanitary habits to prevent infections as well. With proper care, you can prevent ingrown hairs and have soft and smooth skin that you will absolutely love!