Is your ladylove hesitating to let you kiss her? Do you look in the mirror and dread your stubble that you can’t seem to get rid of? A clean shaven, well groomed man is a treat as much as an unkempt unshaven man can be for sore eyes. In the realm of male grooming, a close shave is extremely important and who understands it better than a gentleman.
Though it may seem like child’s play to have a close shave, there are some tips to follow so that you perfect the shave and experience the results of a fine one. It is true that even though a man shaves day in and day out, there are days when the shave is not as per expectation.
Use the valuable tips suggested below and learn the fine finesse of shaving etiquette for a well groomed look.
It is important to have the right tools before you begin shaving.
- A convenient shaving area which is without mess and clutter
- A razor- this can be a safety one which uses Mach 3 cartridges
- Pre-shave conditione
- Shaving gel or cream
Prepare the Skin for Shaving
Before you begin shaving it is important to exfoliate the skin and is perhaps one of the most important pre-shave tips. In fact, exfoliating is as important as shaving itself and men can do it at least two to three times in a week. It helps clean up pores that cause the skin to become pale and prevent blackheads and acne. It can also help lower the risk of ingrown hair and swelling.
Exfoliating the skin before shaving improves complexion, keeps the skin looking bright and clear and also gives a smooth shave. It is important to make exfoliation a part of the regular routine.
Choose your exfoliant well and entirely depends upon the type of skin you have. Combination and oily skin types will fare well with granular scrubs, whereas the sensitive skin types work well with cleansers that contain fresh fruit extracts or Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs).
Get to Shaving
- Condition First: A pre-shave conditioner is an absolute must. A pre-shave conditioner comes in gel, oil or cream type and contains extracts, which are well equipped to prevent irritation, redness and razor burns. It is important to use the pre-shave conditioner and massage into the neck and beard area. This can be followed by applying your preferred choice of shaving cream
- Shaving Cream: A shaving cream is the next must-have. It helps in protecting against razor bumps and ingrown hair. It also primes and prepares the skin for a closer, smoother and certainly a comfortable, shave.
- Shaving the Correct Way: While beginning to shave, do from the chin and mustache area as these are the toughest areas to shave. Take care to notice the direction of growth of the facial hair. You should shave in the same direction as the growth.
- Moisturize: Once you are done, wash and dry your face and add a small amount of lotion because your face needs natural oils to protect it from drying out. Use a moisturizer made for your skin type to yield best results.
- Aftershave Lotion: Post shave, it is very important to use an aftershave lotion. Aftershave lotions are designed to moisturize and soothe the skin as they contain key ingredients which can set to rest any potential skin irritation and also lower the chances of suffering from ingrown hairs or razor burn
It is easy to learn the perfect way to shave with the steps mentioned. The key is to use the skin care products, which are apt for the skin and follow methodical pre and post shave procedures, which can give a gentleman a perfect shave. Appear well groomed and smart by using the suggested DIY simple procedures to enjoy a perfect shave. Practice makes perfect and shaving too is no exception!