When it comes to picking a mouthwatering dessert that also goes very well for a snack or appetizer and comes without the spice or oil, there is hardly anything that can beat the dahi vada. This Indian delicacy is prepared in various ways and loved by people all over the country. While in some part of the country it is made with sour card, you may also mix sweet curd to get a sweeter taste. The topping used in the dish can also be varied according to the regions. It can be made using either moong dal or urad dal. They can be served chilled and taste amazing, especially in scorching summer days.
Ingredients you will need:
- Urad dal
- Green chillies
- Baking soda
- Whisked curd
- Imli ki chutney
Apart from these, you will need the following ingredients for garnishing:
- Red chilli powder
- Roasted cumin seeds powder
How to cook
- You will need to soak the urad dal for some hours in water. Some people also refer to soak the dal overnight.
- After that, drain the water.
- Then mix the soaked dal, green chillies and ginger in a grinder and make a smooth paste.
- Next, mix the salt and soda bi-carb to the batter well. A little water can be added.
- Now, make the vadas by pressing a ball of batter between two palms. They should not be too big or small in size.
- Deep fry the balls in hot oil. Fry until they become golden brown on all sides.
- These deep fried vadas should be soaked in warm water for an hour.
- Drain out and squeeze water from these vadas before serving.
- Put the vadas on platter and pour the whisked curd on them slowly.
- Spread the garnishing mix on the top of vadas and serve. You may refrigerate them for an hour or so before serving.
Bread Dahi Vada
While traditional dahi vada tastes awesome, it takes quite some time to be cooked. If you do not want to spend much time or are in a hurry, the bread dahi vada recipe is the right thing for you! No frying and grinding is required to make this dish either.
Ingredients you will need:
- White bread slices
- Shredded coconut
- Finely chopped ginger
- Finely chopped green chili
- Sliced Almonds
For serving and garnishing you will need:
- Red chili powder
- 1 cup tamarind chutney
How to make
- At first mix the shredded coconut with almonds, green chili, ginger and salt. Set the filling mixture aside.
- Then cut bread slices into round pieces.
- Use the prepared filling and fold the bread pieces in half center wise.
- You can bake the filled vadas lightly in oven.
- Now mix the yogurt with salt well.
- Soak baked vadas in water and squeeze lightly.
- Dip the vadas in yogurt and place them on a plate.
- Now sprinkle red chili powder and pour in tamarind chutney on top.
- You may also spread a small amount of chopped cilantro on top for garnishing.
Tips you can benefit from:
You may use sweet curd or add some sugar to the curd mix for variation in taste. The curd should be kept chilled before you use it on the vadas. You may beat the curd earlier and refrigerate it as well. It is better that you fry the vadas on low heat to ensure they are cooked uniformly.