There are various types of cakes that you can buy or choose to bake at home. With a plethora of baking ovens, microwaves or cookers and right ingredients, making delicious and bakery quality cakes at home should not be much of a problem. If you want to bake an exquisite cake, try Cannoli cream sponge cake. Sponge cake is loved by all for its fluffy texture and Cannoli cream, made with sheep’s milk ricotta taste amazingly good. Combining both, you can create lip smacking soft cake that will be loved by children and grownups alike! This cake takes some more time to be prepared compared to regular vanilla or chocolates, but the results are worth the labour, for sure!
The main ingredients required for making this cake are:
- Ricotta cheese
- Vanilla essence
- Lemon zest
- Superfine sugar
- Baking Powder
Using chopped nuts and dried fruit bits is optional. You may also use a few Choco chips, broken into pieces for garnishing.
You will also need accessories like:
- Mesh strainer
- Wooden spoon or Plastic ladle
- Cheese cloth
- Plastic cling wrap
How to make
- At first, you need to preheat the oven to the temperature of 350 degrees F.
- Using a cheese cloth in a mesh strainer release moisture from the ricotta cheese. You may use your fingers or a large sized spoon for pressing the cheese against the strainer.
- Now, beat the ricotta cheese using superfine sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. After some time, the mixture will have a smooth and creamy texture. It will also have a mild tart flavour.
- At this juncture, you may pour in dried fruit bits or chopped nuts.
- Then, cover the filling using a plastic cling wrap. Put it in the fridge for a while.
- Then, separate the egg white from the yolks and keep them in different bowls. This can take some time though. For time saving and convenience, you can resort to using an egg separator.
- You will have to beat the egg yolk after adding some sugar. It will become light and fluffy soon. For three eggs you will need to use half a cup sugar. You will need to beat the mixture for a few minutes. This will ensure the sponge cake will be absolutely soft and fluffy.
- Next, you will need to sift the dry ingredients- baking powder, salt and flour and add these to beaten egg yolk mixture. You may use a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula and do it slowly.
- Then the egg whites should be beaten with sugar till they turn stiff and glossy. Add this to the batter slowly.
- After the mixture is ready, you need to pour the batter into the cake pan. The baking time can be half an hour or a little more. You may use a toothpick to test if the cake has been properly baked or not.
- Allow the pan to cool before you remove the cake from it. Place it on a large plate for placing the filling in.
- Slice the cake in half horizontally with a knife. Now place the cannoli filling and spread it on the bottom section of the cake with care. Then put the top half atop the filling. Ensure the filling does not spill from the edges of the cake.
- Serve the cake after slicing it into pieces. You can also spread some chopped nuts or fruits atop the cake for garnishing and adding to the taste.