Allergy To Mushroom – How To Get Rid Them

By Subodh / June 11, 2014

There are different types of allergies that people across the globe suffer from. And while some of these allergies are common to the extent that both the causes and treatment to these allergies are known, there are some that are not only uncommon but are also kind of funny to those who’re not suffering from them. Mushroom allergy is one such example.

Allergy to mushroom is simply a negative response to eating mushrooms. The symptoms may vary from individual to individual. Some people may experience more severe symptoms, whereas some may have a wider variety of symptoms. Researches show that no two people can experience a mushroom allergy in exactly the same way. Mushroom allergy affects around 1 per cent of the people who suffer from food allergies. This form of allergy is quite similar to the ones that occur when someone is exposed to molds and spores. It is caused due to special kind of protein that is found in mushroom and people working at food industry or food packaging are more prone to this risk. It may not necessary be an incessant or long term allergy. Some people suddenly develop allergy towards the fungus.

Allergy To Mushroom

Symptoms of Mushroom allergy

Mushroom allergy could be air-borne as well as through contact and thus its symptoms could be both airborne allergies as well as contact dermatitis. The most common symptoms include itching and burning of the mouth in case of mushroom being taken orally, vomiting or nausea, itching over the body or on the parts where mushroom has come in direct contact with, throat swelling, increased palpitations, breathlessness and tightness in chest and swelling of mouth, lips or tongue. Some other common symptoms could be loss of consciousness, experience of dizziness, low blood pressure or an anaphylactic reaction. If mushroom symptoms are not acknowledged in time, the person suffering from it may even go into shock.

Treatment through Antihistamine

One of the most common recommended treatments for allergies to mushrooms is antihistamines such as Benadryl. This has been recommended by many and works out well in most cases. These antihistamines help decrease swelling and clears up the mucus, thereby giving you significant amount of relief.

Treatment through Decongestants

Another better option for treating mushroom allergy is decongestants. They help in contracting the blood vessels, which in turn decrease the flow of blood to the nose and lungs. This is quite a widespread remedy as decongestants are readily available and offer fewer side effects.

Treatment through Steroids

If someone is suffering from allergic rhinitis, they can be prescribed a nasal corticosteroid spray, that helps reduce inflammation of the nose as well as reduce the sneezing and itchiness. Steroids help to short-circuit the immune system’s response to the mushrooms. They are available as pills, eye drops or nose sprays.

Treatment through Allergy Shots

Another treatment for those suffering from mushroom allergy is through allergy shots that release a small amount of what someone is allergic to into their body so that their body learns to no longer react to mushrooms.

Consume Better Substitutes for Mushroom

Above all, what is quite recommendable that if you have severe allergy to mushroom consumption, you should and must try alternates with similar taste and nutrition. Few options could be miso, beef broth or seaweed that carry the same flavor that you may be looking from mushrooms. Moreover, you can also try out cauliflower, chopped zucchini, sweet potato etc. They give you the same texture and feel along with giving that meaty flavor to sooth your taste buds.

Last but not the least; Epi-Pen is something that you should carry with you if you are allergic to mushrooms. Trying out alternate sources is highly recommended as prevention is always better than cure. A severe mushroom allergy has even lead to death in many cases. Therefore, if you suffer an acute allergy towards mushroom, you should stay away from it. Nevertheless, you should not hesitate from taking a medical practitioner’s help in this case.