Amidst so many existing diet plans and emerging ones claiming to give you an hourglass figure, choosing the right one can be quite difficult. You will be hard pressed to find a diet plan that can be called perfect and covers every aspect of nutrition. If you want to follow a diet that is based mostly on natural food sources, try the Hallelujah Diet. Incepted by Rev. George Malkmus in the 1970s, this diet became famous during the 1990s. It is a part of Christian vegetarianism movement. The diet is based on the Biblical concept that you benefit from eating foods the way God desired for mankind.
Basics of the Hallelujah Diet
As a matter of fact, this is a vegan diet. You need to consume mostly raw-organic foods while adhering to Hallelujah Diet. The consumption of raw and organic produce ensures your daily calorie intake does not shoot up to alarming levels. The concept is keeping the ratio or raw and cooked foods at 85:15. The proponents of this diet say, when you consume organic and mostly raw foods your body gets the least amount of toxin and so you can evade a lot of ailments.
What You Will Be Required To Eat
Under the Hallelujah Diet, you are required to eat raw and cooked organic produce throughout the day. You are also required to drink fresh carrot juice every day. Besides, using numerous herbal supplements and herbal colon cleanser is also a prerequisite. The diet is high in carbohydrates but low in protein and fat. You will consume
- Vegetables and fruits
- Dairy alternatives (like almond milk)
- Sprouted lentils
- Raw nuts
- Raw soups
- 1 cooked whole grain meal/day
- Extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil as fats
What You Cannot Eat
You cannot eat processed and oily foods. Avoiding all refined flour based food is also required. Mostly you will have to avoid:
- Animal meat in any form, eggs
- Carbonated beverages
- Dairy products
- Refined grains
- Hydrogenated oils
- Canned vegetables with preservatives
Necessary Lifestyle Changes
While adhering to this vegan diet, you also need to switch to a holistic and stress free life. You will need to work out daily, for example. It is also necessary to stay away from sources of stress. It is necessary to expose your body to the sun.
Benefits of the Hallelujah Diet
There is no doubt this diet brings you some benefit, but the effects take some time to produce results. The major benefits of this diet are:
- It helps you lose weight. Since your body does not get much fat from the foods included in this diet, you tend to lose weight after following it.
- It helps cleanse your body and eliminates toxins that lead to health complications and ailments in the long run. It can be deemed as a suitable detoxifying diet.
- Since the diet is comprised of organic and nutrient rich produce, it offers your body essential nutrients and essentially offers a boost to immunity.
- It helps regulate blood sugar levels in body, since you do not consume much sugar in any form. The fruit sugars are not harmful like what you get in soda drinks and snacks.
Points of Concern
Like any other diet, Hallelujah Diet is not perfect- in the proper sense of the word. The benefits are obvious and significant too. However, health experts and dietitians point out some of its inherent drawbacks.
The limitations of this diet include:
- It is too heavy on carb and low in protein. Long term protein deficit can lead to compromised immunity and many other health problems.
- This diet has foods that are rich in nutrients in general, but still it lacks vitamin D and B12, both essential for living a healthy life.
- Reduced intake of selenium, zinc and biotin in this diet can cause energy depletion. This in turn may not motivate the followers to work out.
Summing it up
Following the Hallelujah Diet can beneficial in some aspects, but you need to keep an eye on the deficits. Taking suitable health supplements to cover protein and vitamin deficit can help.