The advertisements of Maggi show a mother asking her hungry child to wait for just 2 minutes as he asks for his evening snack. Whether you accept it or not, Maggi Noodles had an unmistakable niche place in the Indian houses from the moment it was launched in Indian in 1983. The two-minute advertisement is definitely an eye-catcher. Even when mothers gruntingly allowed the kids to eat homemade samosas, Maggi was prepared happily. It was there on the breakfast table and was served as a snack. It was a special treat for the kid who had won a competition. There were countless reasons to enjoy Maggi Noodles until the lethal blow was delivered a couple of days back.
Here is a short look at the various facts about Maggi and how dangerous it could be for your kids.
1. Maggi Is Prepared Using All-Purpose Flour!
So are biscuits, bread, and cookies. Refined wheat flour or maida, as it is also called, is known to have severe negative impacts on health. When adults refrain themselves from having Maida as it gives them upset tummies and health issues, it becomes even more important to disallow kids from consuming this. Maida contains two potentially dangerous chemicals – Alloxan and Benzoic peroxide – that can prove to be life-threatening.
2. It Has Been Tested Positive For The Lead!
A recent test conducted on the various samples of Maggi by the FDA revealed that Maggi contains 17.2 parts per million (ppm) lead as against the permissible limit of 0.01 ppm and 2.5 ppm. Lead is a heavy metal that the human body cannot eliminate. According to doctors and food safety authorities, accumulation of lead in the body can lead to damages to the liver as well as kidneys. Children, especially if they are below the age of 6, should refrain from consuming lead.
Studies suggest that kids are at a higher risk of developing lead poisoning that could adversely impact the nervous system of the child and lead to various health concerns including Attention deficit disorder, impaired speech, brain damages, and a defective muscular and bone growth.
3. The Msg Factor!
Monosodium glutamate, more popularly called as Ajinomoto, is a Japanese seasoning that is added liberally to all Chinese delicacies. It adds a special zing and aroma to the dish, making it more tempting to the senses. However, it is notorious among the health conscious group as a silent killer. Regular inclusion of MSG in the diet is known to increase the levels of glutamate in the blood to 10 times the normal level. Plus, this seasoning agent is also an excitatory neurotransmitter that creates an instant imbalance when consumed.
Even though there is a box on the Maggi packaging that cites ‘No Added MSG’, tests conducted on the Noodles tell something else. The spice mix, as well as the noodles cake of Maggi packets, reveal the presence of MSG beyond admissible levels. Think again!
Here are some more reasons as to why Maggi is not good for your kids:
1. High Levels of Salt!
Maggi contains salt in excessive amounts that lead to water retention. Salt is used as a preservative agent and give the ‘TASTEMAKER’ added shelf-life.
2. Zero Beneficial Nutrients!
Nestle does claim that Maggi contains nutrients such as calcium while the tests have revealed that there is hardly any nutrients added to the same.
3. Dehydrated Vegetables Are of No Use!
Maggi does serve dehydrated veggies such as carrots and peas, but they do not have any nutritional values as the nutrients get lost during the dehydration process.
Maggi Noodles has been banned in almost all the Indian states. The stocks have been recalled from market shelves. Even though Nestle India vehemently rejects the presence of harmful ingredients in this popular product, studies suggest something else. Offer your kids healthy and tasty home cooked food and stay safe!