Sitting continuously for hours together, irrespective of where you sit, does no good for you health. The more you sit, the more you slouch and it is no new news. The impacts goes much beyond than giving you the visual appeal of a caveman. Your spine is compromised, leading to some really stressing health issues including cervical Spondylosis, intense lower back ache, menstrual disorders, fertility disorders, and so on.
You need to exercise intense care so that you can get rid of that desk jockey slouch. I have put together some effective tips and a couple of stretches that you can try to ensure that you are saved from the harsh impact of slouching on your favorite chair in front of the computer or on your couch.
Daily Tips To Avoid The DJ Slouch
- Climb your stairs
A flight or two is good enough, but climb them. Instead of ending up in the lift, give yourself a dose of energy with this. Since the stairs come hidden, you won’t even have to show someone that you are panting. It is perfectly fine; your body will get used to it soon.
- Keep a tab on you posture
Be it sitting or standing, ensure that you are practicing a good posture. It is tough and many of us have the tendency to slouch too often, but the correct posture comes with oodles of tempting goodness. Less tension on your neck, stronger core, flatter abs, better digestion – so worth trying.
[ Read: How Proper Posture Prevents Pain ]
- Hold on a plank
Push-ups are generally advised, but I would say holding a plank followed by a forearm plank, each for a count of 15 would do the job. You can even add 10 squats to each set. Do this twice a day and see the difference.
- Shun your seat for 10 minutes once in an hour
Take a 10 minute break every 60 minutes. Consider this as a reward. It prevents slouch, plus it eases your stress, rejuvenates you, and freshens you up.
- Listen to your body
The body gives us cues and signs in various ways. It tells you about what you are doping to it. So, be very careful about the cues you receive. A slight deviation from the natural S of your spinal curve will give you a back ache and that is the first sign you will receive from the body.
Exercises and Stretches To Avoid Desk Jockey Slouch
These are simple stretches that you can practice even while you are at your desk and prevent the slouch. These are a couple of yoga stretches that ease the neck and back pain also, while correcting your posture and leave you de-stressed.
- Uttanasana – Standing Forward Bend
Your lower back gets a fabulous stretch while the tensed muscles of shoulders are relaxed. Your hamstrings get a good stretch; plus, the improved circulation levels peps up the digestion and even tone your core.
How to do
- Stand on the floor with your spine erect.
- Inhale and as you exhale, fall forward from the hips, while your palms rest on the floor. You can keep the fingertips on the floor, if you are doing it initially.
- Those who have knee or back issues can keep their knees softly bent.
- Let the head come down completely and let it loose.
- Fix the gaze on the floor.
- Inhale and a exhale deeply so that you can deepen a little more.
- Hold the pose for a count of 15.
- Inhale and come back.
- Repeat 5 to 7 times.
2. Seated Spinal Twist
Release the tension experienced by your spine and shoulder with this yoga twist. It stretches and strengthens the spine making the spine detoxified and more flexible. It also eases your back ache, peps up the digestive power, and puts your neck issues at rest.
How to do:
- Sit on the chair, upright, keeping the feet flat on the floor.
- Keep your knees at hip distance.
- Keep the spine and neck erect.
- Allow your left palm to rest outside the right knee.
- Place your right hand on your back, bent at the elbows in such a way that your hand is making a 90 degree angle with the spine. Keep the palms facing outward.
- Inhale and twist to your right, looking over the right shoulder.
- Hold the posture for a count of 15.
- Exhale, release the hands, and relax.
- Do the same with your left side also.
- This completes on repetition. Repeat 3 more times.
[ Read: How Does Yoga Soothe Back Pain ]
These two stretches not only saves you from desk jockey slouch, but also helps you in maintaining a good posture. In short, you will be good health!