Is your scrotum swollen? See a doctor immediately, as it may be a condition called hydrocele. This is a painless condition in which the watery fluid builds up in the scrotum. This water retention causes the swelling. Not only does the swelling look ugly and unsightly, it also causes discomfort. It is not dangerous or painful, but it does cause concern in the person who has the condition. Hydroceles are very common in newborn babies, but it may occur at any age in a man.
The cause of hydrocele is unknown and it tends to come and go away on its own. However, if you have been diagnosed with hydrocele, you can get rid of it through medications and other methods. Hydrocele is not treated medically unless it turns painful or becomes, a cause of embarrassment.
Getting Rid of Hydrocele
Medically, hydrocele is not considered a disease or a health condition that needs treatment. Usually, in men under the age of 65, the swelling goes away on its own. If the scrotum is enlarged by a large volume, some doctors may suggest surgery. However, here are some simple home remedies that can help you get rid of hydrocele.
- Toxicity is the underlying cause of hydrocele and so the root cause has to be eliminated. Go on a detox diet for a couple of days to get rid of the toxicity in the body first.
- Have a 3-meal course of fruits everyday for 10 days. Fruits help flush out the toxins in the body.
- Along with a fruit diet also have plain lemon water without adding salt or sugar for this period of 10 days.
- While on this diet, use warm water for enema. Enema will cause loose motions, but it also detoxifies the body.
- After the detox is successful, follow a planned diet for a few days. Some of the suggestions are;
a.Breakfast: One glass of milk, salad made out of carrots, fresh fruit, dry fruits and prunes.
b. Lunch: Steamed vegetables, a poached egg and stewed fruit.
c. Dinner: Vegetable salad, whole wheat bread and fat-free butter.
- Use a natural water treatment for this condition. Take a cold hip bath twice a day. To take a hip bath, immerse the lower part of the body in water for about 10 minutes in a tub. Do this twice a day, once in the morning and late in the evening.
- Put some Epsom salt in the bath water at least twice a week. Epsom salt gets absorbed by the skin and helps flush out the toxins from the skin cells.
- Some other things, such as sunbathing, mild outdoor exercise and soaking the early morning sun, can treat the condition as well.
- Wear loose underwear and pajamas while the swelling is there. Never wear clothes that are tight. Also wearing a compression underwear or bandage could help the condition.
- In general, health should be maintained at its best while treating hydrocele. For this you need to avoid alcohol because it causes water retention.
If you have other health conditions along with hydrocele, see a doctor first before you try out any of these home remedies. A doctor would suggest a surgery only under extreme conditions where the swelling cannot be cured. There are no medications that directly address the problem; however some medications do alleviate the symptoms.
When you have hydrocele, you should also cut down on the salt and sugar intake as well. You should avoid any food or beverage that could aggravate water retention in your body. A healthy diet comprising of fresh veggies and fruits is most useful while treating this condition.