Almost everyone knows what it’s like to gain weight over the holidays. With so much good food and drink being offered all the time it is very hard to keep to the diet and eat sensibly. Although we are all used to putting some weight on over the holidays, we are also aware of how difficult it is to take it off in the New Year. The one piece of good news is that the weight we gain is generally not that much and with a bit of hard work can be shifted in no time.
Here are some simple ways in which you can reduce your Christmas weight gain quickly and easily.
- Eat smaller portions – reduce your normal portions by a little bit at each meal and you will simply be able to cut out some of the days calories without denying yourself any of the taste.
- Know the Enemy – There are certain foods that are packed with calories and a lot of the traditional Christmas foods are no exception. By trying to keep the really calorific ones to a minimum. By keeping clear of the really sweet and rich treats in favour of the more healthy items will help to keep the weight off
- Keep the Balance – Try to always keep a balanced diet on your plate and to increase the healthier foods and decrease the fatty ones. By eating more of the salad and veg and less of the meat and carbs you can help to create a healthier balance.
- The Four Bite Method – Don’t deny yourself that amazing and special dessert that you have been coveting, but when you get it take only four normal sized bites before leaving the rest or giving it to someone else. By doing this you are giving yourself the pleasure of the treat without having all the calories that is contains.
- Don’t Ignore the Drink – We often pay a lot of attention to the food we eat and forget about the calories that we take in from drink. Especially alcohol is very fattening and we tend to drink a lot more of it over the holiday season. By avoiding the sugary drinks and mixers then you can lower your calorie intake dramatically. Hot chocolate and cocktails are full of fat and you can help your diet by replacing them with tea or coffee instead.
- Prepare to Party – By having some food before you go out to a party you will be able to fill yourself up with healthy foods and then reduce the amount of fatty treats you have at the party. Drinking plenty of water will also help to curb you hunger before you go to a buffet or dinner where you might be tempted to over indulge.
There are many ways in which you can get rid of the Christmas weight gain and by trying to be sensible and aware of the food and drink you are taking in will go along way to helping you enjoy the holidays without packing on the pounds.