If you suffer from flatulence rest assured that you are not alone. In fact, there are millions of people who are in your situation, but the problem is that they are too embarrassed to speak about it, even to their doctors. This makes things worse because if you don’t speak about the problem you won’t be able to get rid of it. Instead of burying your head in the sand and hoping for the best, take back control of your digestive system and get rid of flatulence.
Passing flatus is actually a very common function in the body. All the digestive processes that go on in your body result in the formation of many byproducts, and one of them is air. This may include hydrogen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide. So essentially there are only two openings that the air is going to be expelled from. Believe it or not, passing gas about 15 times every day is actually normal, but some people are unfortunate and they have a major problem with the amount and frequency, and are often embarrassed by the volume and the smell.
Decreasing the amount of gas you take in
Sometimes the main problem is that you end up taking in too much gas in the first place and it has to get out somehow. There are a few ways to do this:
- Eat slowly: this will ensure that you chew your food properly and that you swallow less air.
- Eat smaller meals: big meals often leave you feeling bloated and sluggish, and the more you eat the more gas builds up, so if you eat less you’ll have less gas.
- Eat more frequently: instead of eating three huge meals a day, east smaller portions more frequently so that your body has a chance to digest the food properly.
- Eat less indigestible food: a big source of gas is food that the body struggles to digest. This includes bran, whole wheat, bananas, oats and cabbage.
- Lose the straws: many people use straws for convenience but the truth is you are taking in so much air on top of the liquid you are drinking, so try and cut it out.
Getting Rid of flatulence
Now that you know how to get less air into your system, you need to know how to get rid of the air that is already there.
- Drink water: this will help your system to function better and create a supportive environment for the body’s processes to take place. This facilitates the passage of food through your system and results in less gas being passed.
- Get charcoal tablets: charcoal tablets are amongst the most widely used treatments and they work by absorbing the gas so that there is less gas to be passed.
- Herbal remedies: there are a number of herbal supplements that have been used, especially peppermint and herbal tea. This improves the functioning of your digestive system.
Video – Natural Ayurvedic Home Remedies