Head acne that includes both scalp and forehead acne is a problem quite common. The factors that give rise to this trouble are mostly under our control so, getting to know the causes would help a lot in preventing and controlling this problem. the first and foremost reason is an unclean scalp due to inadequate hygiene maintenance. Those who do not wash their head regularly are more likely to suffer from head acne.
So, use of a mild shampoo either daily or at least on alternate days to clean excess oil/sebum, dirt, product build up and grime from the scalp. It is best if you have a good look at the ingredient list before purchasing your shampoo. Anti dandruff shampoos and the ones containing salicylic and and tea tree oil as one of their ingredients are found to be helpful. Do not apply conditioner on your scalp as it contributes to an oily scalp. Avoid using strongly fragrance products and avoid using styling gels, sprays and mousse as much as possible. Post hair was, do not tie up your hair till it is air dried properly. Also, avoid wearing scarves, helmets etc on hair that is damp with sweat or post wash.
For forehead acne, that is more likely to occur in people with oily/ combination skin ( oily T zone), using a mild facial cleanser suitable for your skin type at least twice a day and whenever you return from outdoors, is the most important. Also, when you are outdoors and cannot carry a face wash, Keep some face wipes handy in your carry bag to get rid of the accumulated dirt, grime and pollutants. You may also carry a face freshener in a spray bottle. Try to use a astringent to keep the oil secretion under control. Always, use a light water based lotion to hydrate your skin, never skip a lotion post face wash. Avoid using too much makeup products. If you have to, then choose products that are non comedogenic and mineral makeup that soaks up excess oil oil without clogging the skin pores. Never sleep with your makeup on, make it a point to get all the layers of makeup off your face before you go to bed. Some good brands you can look up-to are clean and clear, clearasil and cetaphil.
Here are a few hair packs that can also double up as face packs that might come to your rescue. However, it is very important to remember that these herb and plant based remedies take their own time to show effects and need a regular and repeated usage for weeks together to show results. Do not expect your scalp acne to disappear in a couple of days.
- Grind a jayfhal/ nutmeg and mix with raw milk. Use this on your forehead and scalp to soothe the acne. This hair pack is also believed to fade away scalp marks, gradually and relieve the associated redness.
- Another method is to crush some aspirin tablets and form a smooth paste by adding a small amount of curd. Use this to reduce the inflammation associated with forehead acne. Before you go ahead with this one, it is of utter importance to perform a patch test on the back of your ear to make sure that it does not cause any skin issues for you, especially, if you have a sensitive skin type.
- Dipping a cotton ball in a face cleanser or face wash containing salicylic acid and applying it directly over the scalp acne is found to be helpful.
- When you use your shampoo, add a few drops of tea tree oil to it for additional benefits.
- Warm up some olive oil and add a few drops to tea tree oil to it. Apply this on your scalp and let it stay for at least 40 minutes.
- Boil some Neem leaves in water. Mix this water with cool water and use it to bathe and give yourself a head wash.
- Dry some orange peels under the sun and grind them to form a powder. Make a paste by mixing with some water and apply on scalp and forehead. Let it stay for 20 to 25 minutes.
- A puree made out of raw papaya along with it’s peel helps with acne.
- Similarly, lemon juice, tomato juice and cucumber juice form a good potion to relieve scalp and forehead acne.
Lastly, Cut down of oily foods, include high fibre food in your diet. Consume a lot of fluids including fresh fruit juices, aloe vera juice, wheat grass juice regularly to eventually clear out your scalp acne.