Smoking can cause you thousands of dollars each and every year. It also can cause a number of serious health conditions like lung cancer, emphysema, and other various forms of cancer. Smoking also produces second hand smoke which can be harmful to your friends, loved ones, and any other people who come in contact with the smoke. Smoking can also cause a number of heart related health problems. While it may be difficult to quit smoking, you can kick the habit to the curb for good if you choose to. The power is in your hands.
- Get Rid Of Your Cigarettes, Ashtrays, and Lighters – Get rid of anything that is related to smoking. If you truly intend on quitting you will not need to keep any of these items.
- Get in a Program – There are plenty of support groups for people who are trying to quit smoking. You can find plenty of resources for information at these support groups. These groups are great for when you need someone to talk to that will keep you from smoking.
- Get The Patch Or Gum – May folks have found the nicotine gum or the nicotine patch helpful when they were trying to quit smoking. The patch and the gum supply you with just enough nicotine to keep the receptors in your brain from going crazy because they are craving nicotine. While the gum is said to taste bitter and like chemicals, if you are really serious about quitting you will be more than willing to try anything at least once.
- Ask Your Doctor For Help – There are plenty of prescription medications that can help you quit smoking. Chantix is one of the most popular prescription drugs to help folks quit smoking. These drugs may be effective, but there are some serious side effects involved in taking these kinds of medications. Some of these side effects can include suicidal thoughts.
- Get Some Candy or Gum Instead of a Cigarette – The next time you have a craving for a cigarette, try eating some candy or chewing some gum. Find something to occupy your mouth as well as your hands when you feel the urge to smoke. Play a video game or take a walk outside. Clean your house. Do anything that you can to resist the urge to smoke.
- Drink Water – A lot of people feel the need to eat when they are not smoking or when they are craving a cigarette. This can lead to unwanted weight gain. To curb this problem you should try drinking water whenever you have a craving to smoke or whenever you want to eat.
- Meditate – If you feel the urge to smoke you can try to do some yoga or meditate. Do something that makes you feel calm and at peace. You can do something as simple as taking a few deep breaths until you no longer feel the urge to smoke. You will be feeling better in no time if you seriously want to quit smoking.