Stomach cramps occur for a variety of reasons, one of which is trying to run or swim after eating or drinking. Menstruation or pregnancy might also cause this uncomfortableness.
Oftentimes these cramps are very minor. However, before you learn how to get rid of stomach cramps on your own you should see a doctor.
One other cause of pains in this part of your abdominal area is more serious. In the event it could be the result of internal infection and bleeding, you should be checked out by a doctor right away.
After seeing a doctor, it would help you to learn how to get rid of stomach cramps at home:
- Try clear soda or seltzer water. The standards such as 7-Up, Sierra Mist, or Sprite can help. It is the carbonation that helps sooth the stomach. You could also try seltzer water (unsweetened carbonated water otherwise known as club soda) would help.
- Use baking soda. This has a similar effect as would indigestion (heartburn) medicines. It soothes your stomach in a similar way as would the club soda or white carbonated soft drinks. The plan usually is to help create flow of air to create a “burping” action which can calm your upset stomach.
- Try an over-the-counter medication. Antacid medications such as Pepto-Bismol, Alka-Seltzer, or Milk of Magnesia can help sooth your stomach cramps. However, just make sure you are not allergic to these medications. Discuss the ingredients of these with your doctor if you have any doubts.
- Try a heating pad. This works excellent for stomach cramps caused by menstruation. One very important aspect of this is to lay on the heating pad rather than placing it directly on your stomach. Otherwise, you could become dizzy and nautious.
- Try a painkiller. Be careful and talk to your doctor about the use of these drugs. If it is a prescription only take it as instructed. Furthermore, talk to your doctor about which over-the-counter solution would be right for you before you use it.
- Have your stomach gently massaged. This will help loosen up your muscles in the right places. It will also help encourage air to flow through your stomach to release gas when necessary. You can either hire a professional or just have a friend or family member do this.
- Do abdominal and aerobic exercises. You can try half-crunches and stretch routines. Just do not try full crunches. Otherwise, you could damage your back in the process. After doing ab crunches and stretching repetitions you can do aerobics. The face-paced movements will help enhance blood flow to your stomach area and as a result your cramps could be loosened.
Stomach cramps can be prevented with some simple guidance. One main way to prevent or get rid of stomach cramps and never have them return would be to learn what foods to avoid.
For instance, some people are allergic to dairy (lactose intolerant) so they should refrain from eating dairy as much as possible. Certain acidic fruits (i.e. oranges) or vegetables (i.e. onions, garlic) could also cause cramping and/or indigestion.
It might also not be in your best interest to keep eating beyond the point of being full. You should be especially cautious of this when eating at a buffet restaurants.