What would we do without our tongues? It is our tongue that helps us taste food, eat, articulate words and speak. And, for those of you who already do not know, the tongue is one of the strongest muscles in the human body. A healthy tongue is pink in color, but sometimes your tongue can have a white coating and cause a bitter taste or bad breath.
The tongue turns white when bacteria, debris of food and dead cells tend to get stuck in between inflamed papillae which are tiny nodules on the tongue. Inflammation is generally caused by various factors such as fever, dehydration, smoking and drinking. Poor oral hygiene and eating junk food can also cause a white coated tongue. Sometimes, antibiotics or medication taken to cure diseases such as syphilis, jaundice and liver diseases may also cause your tongue to turn white.
5 Natural Ways to Get Rid of a White Tongue at Home
Salt has been used since time immemorial in curing many ailments. This common kitchen ingredient can also be used to remove the white coating on your tongue. What’s more? It will also help you maintain oral hygiene as it keeps the mouth clean and healthy.
The coarse nature of salt makes it a great natural tongue scraper and helps exfoliate dead cells and food debris in the tongue. It is also antiseptic and thereby will ward off bacteria that cause foul breath. You can use salt in two ways to remove the white coating on your tongue.
Method 1: Salt Water Gargle
Simple? Yes, it is! All you need to do is throw in one teaspoon of salt into a glass of really warm water. Use this water to gargle your mouth thoroughly a few times before spitting it out. Repeat this at least thrice a day till the white coating is gone.
Method 2: Brush with Salt
Take a teaspoon of salt and sprinkle it on your tongue. Now, using a clean toothbrush, gently scrub the affected area in circular motions for a minute or two. Rinse with lukewarm water and repeat twice a day till the tongue is pink again!
How to use:
Use a dropper or teaspoon to spread some vegetable glycerin on your tongue. Use a clean, soft bristled toothbrush and massage the glycerin into the tongue for a few minutes. Rinse your mouth with warm water and repeat every day until the white coating fades off.
- Oil Pulling
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of the white coating on your tongue while also detoxing the rest of your body. All you need to do is use cold pressed sesame oil and swish it around your mouth. Do not gargle or swallow. Just swish the oil between your tongue and mouth and pull it out through your teeth. Spit the oil and rinse your mouth with water. This will eliminate bad breath and work on getting rid of the white coating. Remember not to use an alcohol based mouthwash, as it will over dry your mouth and worsen the condition.
[ Read: How To Do Oil Pulling And It’s Benefits ]
- Aloe Vera
We all know the many benefits of aloe to the human body. It has healing properties and is used to treat myriad skin conditions. Aloe also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it a great remedy to treat oral problems. You can use the gel of aloe to also cure a white coated tongue
How to use:
Extract the gel from a large aloe leaf and add some water to make it into a juice. Now, take a few spoons of the juice in your mouth and swish it around for a couple of minutes. Spit and rinse. Follow this by consuming a tablespoon of aloe gel. Within a few days you will be completely rid of the white coated tongue.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is yet another potent remedy to treat a white coated tongue. How does it help? Like salt it is coarse in nature and acts as a natural scrub. It can be used to gently exfoliate all the food debris and residue stuck to the tongue causing it to go white. It also helps maintain the pH levels in the mouth and thus improves oral hygiene and reduces bad breath.
How to use:
Mix a few teaspoons of baking soda with the juice of a lemon and make a paste out of it. Ditch your regular toothpaste and use this to brush your teeth and tongue every day. Rinse with water and repeat until the pink color of your tongue is restored.
Other Handy Remedies to Cure and Prevent White Tongue
The above home remedies can be relied upon to clear a white tongue naturally. Follow the tips enlisted below to get quicker results.
- Make it a practice to scrub your tongue every day with a paste of freshly ground turmeric powder and lemon juice. You may also gargle with turmeric water for better results.
- Use colloidal silver if you suffer from dry mouth, bad breath or have a candida fungal infection. Colloidal silver is said to have antibiotic and antimicrobial properties that help improve oral hygiene. Do not gargle it, instead swish diluted colloidal silver for a few minutes before spitting and rinsing with warm water.
- Drink copious amounts of water. This will ensure that no food debris or residue remains in your mouth. You can also gargle with warm water every day after meals to ensure there are no food particles lodged in your teeth or stuck on your tongue.
- If you have a neem tree in your courtyard, you are in luck. A few handful of neem leaves is all you need to treat the fungus or bacteria causing the white tongue. Neem has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties that will ward off oral infections and also removes toxins from the human body. To use neem to treat a white tongue, simply dry and powder neem leaves. Boil a teaspoon of the powder in water and use it as a mouthwash.
- Steer clear of dairy products for a few weeks as it can create mucus and also discolor your tongue.
- Do not smoke and drink excessively as this can lead to tongue discoloration.
- Make it a habit to chew a few cloves of garlic as it improves oral hygiene, aids blood circulation and will keep your tongue pink and healthy.
- Incorporate veggies and fruits that are crunchy. Apples, guavas, carrots etc can help naturally exfoliate debris from the tongue and also prevent you from contracting a white tongue.
These simple tips and remedies will not just cure a white tongue, but also improve oral health and give you a million dollar smile!