It is only natural for the human body to develop resistance to any external products, antibody or allergen after getting exposed to it repeatedly. Similarly, improper and repeated use of antibiotics in human body or that of animals leads to onset of antibiotics resistance. This eventually makes some variants of bacteria literally indestructible. The microscopic superbugs have made the medical community worried in recent years and rising instances of resistance to antibiotic medications have been reported worldwide, even in the developed nations.
Why Prevent Antibiotic Resistance
With time, the realization has dawned upon governments and medical community leaders to take preventive steps to stop resistance to antibiotics. It has been declared a crisis by entities like CDC, WHO and many others. However, general people and patients can do their bit to ensure they do not get adversely affected by this menace. You can adopt a few useful preventive steps that are not limited to your home, but also extends to the shops, clinics and many other places to keep antibiotic resistance at bay.
If you still have any doubts, think of the below listed facts:
- Pharmaceutical companies develop new antibiotics very rarely these days for profit related issues.
- Antibiotic abuse in farm raised animals and harvest is widespread in the world.
What You Can do to Prevent Antibiotic Resistance
- You can definitely try to reduce the impact of antibiotic resistance on a personal level and also on a family level. Practicing good hygiene is the first step towards this. You can wash hands with soap and water after coming home from outside carefully. Using lukewarm water is even better for washing hands. If soap and water is not available, you may resort to using a sanitizer which is alcohol based
- It is better to keep hands when you cannot wash them away from the eyes and mouth. When sneezing, use handkerchiefs to cover the mouth. This prevents transferring bacteria to others in the vicinity.
- It is better to practice safe sex to evade bacterial contamination that can spread through sex.
- Vaccination checking is very important when you want to fight antibiotic resistance. Ensure that you keep a tab on vaccinations and ensure you are up to date on this.
- It is also necessary to buy, wash and prepare foods with enough caution to keep bacterial contamination at bay. Certain types of bacteria thrive in certain types of foods. They can grow and spread when healthy cooking methods are not used. Before you begin cooking, ensure the table top and surfaces are cleaned thoroughly.
You should wash all types of foods with clean water before cooking. Whenever possible, use lukewarm to hot water to kill any type of germ in the food. Vegetables, fish, raw meat and eggs should be washed carefully before you can cook them. You also need to wash your hands well after cooking is done. It makes sense to use a purifier based water for cooking.
- A lot of people resort to taking antibiotics when they are down with a known bacterial contamination. This is something you should not do. Ensure you visit a doctor whenever such a bacteria borne illness or infection takes place. Try staying at home so that there is reduced risk of spreading the infection. Without proper diagnosis any illness, including bacterial contamination cannot be cured properly. Sometimes, you may not be able to differentiate between a viral and bacterial illness. Viral illnesses cannot be cured with antibiotic medications, as it is.
- It is also advisable that you take antibiotics the way described by your doctor. However, mild or severe the infection is, you should ensure the course is completed to evade recurrence or onset of any health complications. It is necessary that you stick to the apt dosage. If any side effects kick in, get in touch with the doctor fast.
Steps To Be Taken By Healthcare Entities And Other Organizations To Prevent Antibiotic Resistance
- Healthcare professionals, NGOS and clinics should play a larger role in eradicating antibiotic resistance in humans. The doctors should prescribe proper antibiotic drugs after diagnosis and analysis of an ailment to any individual.
- Random antibiotic usage in farms should be reduced. The practice of antibiotics in farm raised animals and livestock has resulted in humans growing immune to usage of such drugs in the long run. The same can be said about harvest and fish farms.
- Big pharma companies should step up efforts to come up with new antibiotic drugs. Existing several types of antibiotic drugs have become less effective. Newer bacteria strains have become strong enough to remain unaffected by such medications that have been used for decades. Of course, the government policies and rules of FDA should be modified to ensure the companies are motivated to develop new and effective drugs.
Like the article? Please share your views below.