Menstrual periods might prove an inconvenience and interfere with travel plans, sports or other leisure activities. You might experience many situations that demand a delay in periods. These reasons can vary from simple irritation, cramps, headaches and back pains to heavy and excessive bleeding. These symptoms might interfere if you are planning a vacation or going to a party.
How To Stop Your Menstrual Period
For women, who travel frequently, it might get necessary to delay or stop periods for a day or two, depending on their plans. There are numerous home remedies as well as clinical options to solve the purpose.
Home Remedies To Stop Periods
- Drink Water – Ample intake of water or juice can help to lighten the periods. It is worth noting that this precautionary measure would not delay the period. It would only lighten the flow.
- Vinegar – This is another effective remedy to delay the period for a day or two. Add 2tsp of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Drink it at least three times a day. This would delay the periods for few hours.
- Lemon – This is a time tested technique to stop periods. Suck on a piece of lemon to stop or slow your menstrual period.
- Gelatine – This is another effective way to stop periods for a day. Max a pack of gelatine with a glassful of water. Drink it up in one go. Your periods will get delayed by a day, at the most.
Clinical Methods To Stop Periods
Many times, these above mentioned home remedies to stop periods might not provide desired results. This can be due to the difference in cycles and body adaptability of every woman. It is not necessary for every remedy to work in the same way for each woman.
Here Are Some Clinical Tips To Stop Periods, If Need Be.
- Flexible Cup – The flexible cup is a soft cup inserted through the vagina and placed at the cervix face to collect the flow. This implies that it does not stop the period. Instead, the flow is prevented from coming out of the vagina. This flexible cup can be worn for as long as 12 hours and reused throughout the periods. It is, however, recommended to use a fresh cup every time rather than reusing the previous one.
The key advantage of using a flexible cup is that it does not cause any hormonal side effects. It can be used while travelling, swimming or even during sex. However, it is important to note if used during sex, these cups do not prevent pregnancy.
- Contraceptives – This is considered as one of the best ways to stop periods. However, these contraceptive pills or injections should be taken only when prescribed by a doctor, depending on your body’s needs. Oral contraceptives (in the form of pills) are the simplest way to stop periods. Regular intake, as directed, will stop your periods. Once the intake is stopped, your cycle will return to normal.
It should be noted prolonged consumption of contraceptives can cause certain hormonal and physical side effects. Some common ones include hormonal imbalance, frequent headaches and cardiovascular disease. Therefore, make sure you consult your physician before you start with a contraceptive.
- Medications – There are certain medicines that can reduce heavy bleeding, or even delay periods for a few days. These medicines should be started a few days before the due date of the menstrual cycle. As long as the medicine is consumed, the periods won’t occur. As soon as the consumption is stopped, menstrual cycle would begin the very next day.
These medications to stop periods can be used if you have to attend a wedding or go for a vacation. Again, it is best to take such medications only with the advice of your physician or gynaecologist.
In addition to these natural and clinical methods to control periods, there are also certain herbal ways to solve the menstrual period problem. These include herbs, like cinnamon, Lady’s Mantle (also called Alchemilla Vulgaris), Comfrey, Shepherd’s Purse (also called Capsella Bursa Pastoris), banana flowers, chaste tree, mustard seeds and raspberry tea.
All these herbs have time tested evidence of controlling periods for a few days. The extract of these herbs can be taken in the form of oil (a few drops only). You can also boil any of these herbs in water and drink the brew with honey for desired results.