Today, there are many remedies for asthma, such as acupuncture, relaxation techniques, herbal therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, diet, relaxation techniques, dietary supplements, etc. However, yoga is an effective remedy for asthma as it is known to prevent future attacks.
What Is Asthma?
Asthma is a long-term lung disease that inflames and constricts the trachea or airways. Inflammation in the airways restricts the passage of air to and from the lungs. This makes breathing very difficult for an asthma patient, resulting in wheezing, tightness of the chest, coughing and breathing difficulty.
How Yoga Helps Cure Asthma
Research conducted at yoga centres in some parts of India have proved the effectiveness of yoga in treating asthma. Not only can yoga meditation and simple asanas prevent asthma attacks, but they also improve breath control. It also helps the patient be less anxious; their breathing rhythm also improves as their lung function too. Overall, yoga also aids asthma patients manage their condition better.
Other ways by which yoga can help with curing asthma include:
- Increasing lung capacity and muscle relaxation
- Improving physical health, flexibility and strength
- Helping dispel feelings of depression and anxiety, and insomnia.
- Improving demeanour and a sense of well-being
- Dealing with stress
- Controlling asthma through effective breathing exercises that improve lung functioning
Schools of Yoga Beneficial For Asthma
Two yoga schools beneficial for curing asthma include Sahaja Yoga and Bikram Yoga. The latter is extremely effective as it is conducted in a hot room that keeps the patient’s body warm up faster, thereby increasing his body flexibility. Bikram Yoga also helps reduce the strain on the heart and lungs while increasing the capacity of the chest and lungs. This results in better breathing techniques. Bikram yoga also teaches relaxation techniques that help reduce physical and emotional stimulants that bring on an asthma attack.
Effective Yoga Exercises For Asthma Cure
Pranayama or breathing exercises are believed to be the most effective in curing asthma. Besides, stretches and meditation are also effective. Breathing techniques such as Kapalabhati and Anulom Viloma are also good breathing techniques that help regulate breathing and exercising the lungs to function better.
Asanas good for improving breathing include Shavasana (Corpse Pose), Sukasana (Pleasant Pose), Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist) and Purna Titali Asana (Butterfly).
Yogasanas For Asthma Cure
The yoga poses most beneficial for asthma cure include Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) and shoulder lifts that stretch the torso and relax the chest area. Other exercises that have a positive effect on asthma include Pada Hasthasana, Suryabheda and Ujjayi are instrumental in increasing lung capacity, toning muscles and increasing stamina and strength. Asthmatics seeking help from yoga should practice these exercises in a graded manner without over straining the body.
Tips To Do Yoga Exercises For Asthma Cure
- Do these exercises on an empty stomach, but sip water occasionally to keep your trachea moist.
- Practice these exercises wearing loose-fitting and comfortable clothes.
- Choose a quiet and well-ventilated and clean room to exercise in with ample room to exercise in
- If you get an asthma attack while exercising, sit up on a chair and put your head on a table, resting your face on one hand. If you feel anxious or suffer from shortness of breath, stop exercising and keep walking for a little while. Resume exercising after a couple of days.
Yoga, therefore, is a valuable cure for asthma. By persevering with these exercises in the long-term, you will definitely see a vast difference in your condition, even if it does not completely get rid of the problem.