The end result of anything is influenced by the products chosen towards its making. The same rule applies towards the look of your heavenly abode. The final appearance of your beautiful house can be enhanced or marred with the options that you make towards its paint supplies.
Paint plays a pivotal role in the protection of a premise in terms of the scorching heat of the sun, the repercussions of snowfall and the adversities inflicted by moisture. This statement certainly leaves no room for doubt with regards to the importance of paint. Therefore, one needs to invest in paint supplies judiciously. This decision can influence the durability of the building and save you from trouble for years to come.
Aspects Influencing the Decision
Before procuring paint supplies, it is necessary for you to examine certain key areas. Comprehensive study of the project and its individual requisites are important towards the success of any painting project.
- The first aspect of consideration is to understand the area in question. The choice of paint depends upon the premise in question such as fence, barn or exterior walls.
- The material that is to be painted is also important towards the procurement of the correct type of paint. Evaluate the domains of work in terms of wooden, concrete or metallic.
- What kind of paint durability are you looking at? Are you seeking long term results giving importance to minute details or is it a speedy project with little time in hand?
- Decide upon the ultimate finish that you desire. For instance, some love the glossy look, while others may prefer a matte finish.
Variations in Paints
Paint is an amalgamation of pigment and solvent. While the former is symbolized by dry colours, the latter is usually oil or water.
- Oil Paints – With oil as the base, this paint generates a sturdy action. Under the umbrella of oil paints fall enamel paints and aluminium paints. Enamel paint provides a glossy finish, while aluminium paint has a reflective property. Both options provide durable protection against environmental conditions. However, oil paints generally require more time towards drying.
- Water Paints – These paints come with the ease of direct application on surfaces and a speedy dryness property.
Requirement of Primer
Paint and primer hold equal significance in creating an exemplary look. The primer particularly holds importance in rendering a smooth finish. Once you have identified the paint, selection of the primer becomes comparatively easier. Most paint manufacturers suggest a primer, facilitating optimum results.
The fundamental uses of primer include
- Improves the adhesive property of paint. This in turn enhances the bond between the surface and paint.
- Prohibits rusting by clinching any forms of permeability.
- Aids in minimizing the risk of stains in future.
- Makes application of light colours over previously painted dark walls a possibility.
Some of the other prominent supplies include nylon or polyester brushes, roller covers and frames, painter’s tape, tray for mixing paints and tray liners, stirring stick, ladder for convenient access, and drop cloths. Preliminary cleaning may call for scrubbing brushes, scrapers, sandpaper and sponges.
Norms of Preparation and Storage
Care needs to be given to aspects of preparation and storage as well. Ensure that the paint is well prepared with no traces of flaking or lumping. If required strain the impurities. The consistency of the paint should be absolutely correct. Follow the label instructions to avoid excessive thickening or thinning of paint.
Close lid after usage and store in dry areas. Avoid storage in areas of direct heat or in close proximity to burners. Rusting can be avoided by refraining from storage on cemented surfaces.
Painting the house to elevate its aesthetic quotient is of course of grave importance to everyone. However, while making our abode look more stunning, let us not harm the environment. Be responsible towards the environment and community you live in. Paints are dangerous pollutants and their disposal must be monitored.