How To Get Rid of Black Mold

By Subodh / May 28, 2011

Black mold is not only unattractive-looking but it is also potentially problem-forming. It can be very unsanitary and it can appear in places that are hard to reach.

It also appears in places that are hardly noticeable. This leads to problems, especially mold-born sicknesses. In fact, this is such a serious issue that the types of problems with Class A, B, and C are shown below.

Mold type descriptions:

Class A-This is a class of mold that is potentially hazardous. Your home should be inspected for it on a regular basis and it should then be removed immediately. Two popular types of this mold include Aspergillus and Stachybotris varieties.

Class B-Usually allergies are caused by this class of mold. Examples of such include Cladosporium, Aspergillus, Penicillium, Alternaria, and Ulocladium. The presence of these allergies occurs as a result of exposure over time.

Class C-This type is less dangerous, as it does not cause health problems in humans or animals. Certain species of Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Ulocladium are among those that are harmless.

Of course, as a precaution any and all mold should be removed. This will help avoid future problems in the event you are not sure of the mold species.

The Removal Process

The process to get rid of black mold is not necessarily an easy one. However, it is a very important task that needs to be done as soon as possible.

Strachybotrys chartarum and aspergillus nigar are two of the most toxic ones that should be removed. These as well as other types of mold include water-soaked ceilings, wall paneling, cardboard, and cotton items can be found in various locations in your home.

Here are some tips to help you successfully remove mold:

  • Get rid of any excess moisture in the air that can cause mold to grow.
  • Check to see if there are any water leaks, because this could be a source of moisture that keeps mold from coming back.
  • Once the water leak is fixed then you can dry the area as thoroughly as possible as many dry towels as it takes.
  • An alternative method of getting rid of excess water from leaking pipes would be to use a wet vac.
  • Using a dehumidifier in a damp room can help keep mold at bay. You should especially use this in the basement or places 55% humidity or above.
  • Remember that it only takes mold an average of 24 to 48 hours for mold to start growing. Therefore, you should make eliminating moisture a regular practice.
  • Keep any areas easily susceptible to mold formation clean. For instance, you should sweep or vacuum your basement regularly to keep it as free from dust as possible.
  • It is possible for you to clear away mold. It usually helps if you clean each room one at a time and seal the room off one at a time. Plastic sheeting will work for doorways, vents, and other openings.
  • An air purifier can help clear out spores of mold that could be still in the air. It removes the dust where the mold spores may be present.
  • As far as removal of the mold itself, you should fist mist the area with water. Otherwise, the mold spores could become airborne while cleaning.
  • Always clean a mold-infested area thoroughly. You should even do so if no mold appears to be present. Disinfecting the area as often as possible should help.
  • Come time to remove mold you should place the mold-infested wiping cloths in a plastic bag and seal it. Dump the mold debris and/or towels used to try a mold-infested area in a plastic bag and tie the bag tight.
  • If the mold debris and cleaning rags are sealed tight as possible in a plastic bag, then toss it out a door or window. You can keep it outside until you are ready to dispose of it in a landfill.

Video