Styrofoam is a material which is used to pack fragile items for safety. They are used for a lot of different purposes, but they are not degradable in an organic way. Plenty of people have a lot to say about the product, and a lot of it is concerned with environmental health. So, to get rid of it you would have to do a few things.
What is Styrofoam?
Polystyrene or Styrofoam is a polymer based on carbon and is a by-product of petroleum. Styrofoam is a trademark word of the Dow Chemical Company, and refers to commercial polystyrene based materials. They are lightweight, and they are proof against water, not to mention easy to make. They have been used for packing and manufacturing, not to mention used in arts.
Types of Polystyrene Foam
You would find two kinds of polystyrene in the market:
- Expanded polystyrene they are lightweight and small in size. They look like little peanuts that are used to pack things.
- Extruded polystyrene they are thin and lightweight, and can be used to make models, paint, and in arts. These products are made by extrusion, which renders them dense and highly resistant to heat. Perfect for packing food and utensils.
Though polystyrene has its uses, but the production volume is now so high that an environmental problem is sort of emerging, and the waste is large enough to affect rivers, lakes, landfills and other things. The industries are invited to reduce polystyrene usage and recycling them, or making them biodegradable.
This is a product that is recyclable. You can use them over and over again, and keep using them again and again so that they can be used for multiple purposes and processed. You should take these to a recycling center so that they can be used again.
Sort Your Garbage
Yes you can always put in bits of broken Styrofoam in your garbage, but that would soon accumulate and slowly enter your environment and make it unclean and impure. So if you do not want that to happen, stop putting polystyrene in your garbage. You can take your product in a separate bag and mark it as Styrofoam, so you r garbage collector knows where to take them. This way you ensure the environment is not affected by you.
Have you thought of selling your Styrofoam? Sell your material on a website or in a drive where a lot of this can be sold off at a reasonable rate. You solve your problem, and get your garbage out of your hand, and you help someone in need as well. And the best thing is, you make some money in the process.
Use Less Styrofoam
Using less Styrofoam makes sense. Here’s what you do:
- Bring a mug of your own instead of using foam coffee cups.
- Insist on the paper being used to pack your food while it is being delivered. If your favorite take out does not have it, bring out your own plastic containers.
- For model making, use recycled bits of cardboard.
- Use biodegradable polystyrene which is also available in the market.
With these simple steps you can be an active environment-concerned person.