How To Get Rid of Toxic Mold

By Subodh / September 26, 2013

Molds, also named as toxic molds, have been talked about a lot recently because of their alleged harmful effects on human beings. There are umpteen misconceptions around molds and their potential dangers. Many misconceptions are primarily because the scientific explanation of molds is either too complicated or too technical for the common person to understand. This is the reason molds are being feared extensively everywhere. You will also find the information around toxic molds on the web quite misleading.

What is mold?

Mold is a type of fungus which you will find growing inside your house and outside as well. Molds require warm and damp conditions to survive and thrive. There are hundreds of varieties of house molds but you don’t need to worry much as small amount of molds here and there in your house is very unlikely to cause any health issues to you. Most of the health related issues happen only when you allow huge amount of molds to grow up in your house.

Molds reproduce through spores. These spores survive even the conditions which are unfavorable for the growth of the molds. Spores can live through the hot and dry conditions. Due to this reason, it becomes incredibly difficult to remove molds and even if you do, chances are they will resurface again. Spores are not visible to the human eyes and spread through air – a very important factor you will need to remember while trying to clear up the molds.

How to Get Rid of Toxic Mold

Where will you find the molds in your house?

You cannot think about completely eliminating the molds. This idea is almost next to impossible. There are endless types of molds and they grow and spread very easily. Therefore, some molds will stay whether you want them or not. But molds in small quantity do not carry any health hazards. If there is a lot of growth of molds in your house only then you need to get them removed as they may cause health related issues.

Molds survive and thrive in warm and damp conditions; therefore you can expect to find them in those parts of the house which are moist and less ventilated. These areas could be your bathroom, basement or the shaft area. Molds also grow in and near the water leak areas such as seeping roofs or pipes. You can also expect to see mold growths in the area where waterlogging has not been cleared in a long time. Molds are also common around the plant pots.

How do you get rid of the molds?

Here are the steps to get rid of toxic molds in your house:

Keep the area dry and ventilated

Keep the potential areas that may encourage growth of mold dry and ventilated. Also ensure you regularly broom and dry mop the floor and walls. Never water clean the areas you suspect may cause the growth of molds. Instead vacuum clean them or just dust them.

Remove molds using bleach

Bleach is a well known mold killer. It can kill almost all types of known indoor molds. It not only kills the molds, when it comes in contact with the mold affected area it also kills the spores. This makes it quite an effective mold treatment as killing the spores also ensures that molds do not spread any further.

There is one drawback of mold removal technique using bleach. Bleach is quite effective when it comes to mold removal from the non-porous surfaces such as glass, tiles and bathtubs. But it is not much effective on the porous surfaces. Molds growing on the porous surfaces, such as wood, are also able to spread beneath the surface. Bleach however does not permeate the surface. It kills the mold over the surface but the molds underneath survive.

Mold removal using Borax

Borax

Borax is another effective treatment for molds. Borax is a white mineral which is used for cleaning glass and ceramics and other items. It is also sometimes used as an antiseptic. Borax itself is toxic when consumed by a human but when applied for mold removal it does not emit fumes or toxic wastes.

Vinegar can also remove molds

vinegar

Vinegar is another household product which can be pretty effective in mold removal. To remove the mold, simply spray vinegar on the mold affected area and leave it. Repeat this two to three times in a day over a few days and the molds will get removed. You can also mop your bathroom floors or other areas where you suspect molds could grow.

Molds are normally harmless, especially when they are in small quantities. They may become hazardous to health when they grow extensively inside your house. Try and cut down their growth when you see them but there is no need to panic as they may not cause as much damage as you fear.