Hanging Christmas lights is a tradition that dates back several generations. In some areas, neighbors participate in a fun competition to see who will display the best lights on the block. There is no reason that you cannot join in on the fun and set out to make your house the brightest on the block this year. Here are some decorating tips to help you get started on brightening your house this holiday season.
Tips for Decorating with Lights
- Lots of Lights – If you want to have the brightest house on the block, you are going to need a lights, and lots of them. Be sure to only use outdoor lights and outdoor extension cords. You can choose to use all white lights, multicolor lights, or mix the two. Display the lights anywhere you can think of, such as draped around the trees in your yard, hung around the edges of your roof, or wrapped around the window and door frames of your home. Remember, your mantra should be “the more lights, the better.”
- Inflatable Decorations – While lots of lights may make your home the brightest, you also want it to be fun and entertaining. A great way to add some holiday cheer to your home is to put up a couple of inflatable decorations. These decorations are fairly inexpensive and very easy to display. There is a large selection of inflatable decorations to choose from, including Santas, snowmen, and Christmas trees. These decorations will need to be plugged into an electrical unit to remain inflatable, so remember to pick up outdoor extension cords.
- Yard Displays – In addition to inflatable decorations, there is also a wide range of holiday yard displays that you can place in your front lawn, porch, or rooftop. Whether you are looking for Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanza decorations, you will be able to find plenty of varieties to select from and find the right one for you. Some of these yard displays also includes lights that will help to brighten up your home.
Additional lighting works to add even more brightness to you home, but if done correctly can also enhance the overall look of your display. Here are some great tips for using additional lights.
- Spotlights – Small spotlights installed on the ground are a great way to draw attention to your inflatables and yard displays. A spotlight will help show off these added features and let people see the displays better. It will also add to the overall brightness level of your yard.
- Walkways and Step Lights – Walkway and step lights are a great addition to your outdoor space any time of the year, but especially during the holiday season. It adds just a little bit more light to your yard and highlights the path to your front door. This will be particularly helpful for visitors to your home, especially in the midst of your holiday lights.
- Light Post – If you already have a light post in your yard, do not forget to wrap extra lights around it during the holiday season. If you do not have a light post, now may be a good time to invest in one. There are various styles to choose from, including Victorian, nautical and traditional. This will help you light your outdoor space all year long and add a special touch during the holidays.
To help reduce costs while displaying your lights, be sure to use energy efficient LED lights. This will save you money on your electric bill and the lights will last longer, too. You should also set your holiday lights to a timer, so they only come on for a certain time frame each day. This will help to keep your electric bill under control during the holidays. Most importantly, remember to have fun with your lights and create a display that the whole neighborhood will love. This will help you win the title of having the brightest lights on the block.