A lot of things in life can prove to be double edged swords. Advertising is no different actually! It is a requirement because without advertising you will remain unaware about so many services and products you need. However, advertisers aim specific age groups and tinker with human emotions to sell their products. While the adults can often analyze and detect such emotional triggers, the same cannot be said about the kids. They often fall prey to specific marketing tactics of advertisers and this leads to prolonged hardship for parents.
Ways Advertisers Influence Your Children
As a matter of fact, brands have more than one way to influence mindset of kids- both boys and girl. Now that the Internet has become widely accessible to kids along with TV and print media, their options have outgrown in number. The advertisers resort to the below listed methods to appeal to the mindset of children:
- Color and Graphics – The mindset of kids gets affected quickly by images with bright hues and enticing graphics. The advertisers understand this and use the psychology to the best of their capabilities. You will see in most of children centric products, be it toys or fast food ads, the brands make use of bright colors and enticing visuals. This helps them grab attention of the toddlers fast. Needless to say, they also make use of catchy soundtracks and background scores to deepen the impact.
- Celeb Power – Kids can relate to popular stars, music artists and even players very well. The brands make use of brand ambassadors like football players, tennis pros, actors and socialites. This triggers instant attraction in the children and they start nagging parents for buying the products endorsed by those stars.
- Moving Visuals and Cartoons – Kids get attracted to favorite cartoon figures and animal or nature based visuals. Brands make good usage of popular cartoon animal figures in their ads. Now, kids get to see such videos on the web as well.
- Peer Factor – Children can also relate to happy and healthy looking children shown in ads of junk foods and soft drinks. They do not get the idea that gorging on such foods can actually be counterproductive for their health. This is actually peer factor that brands use in their ads to affect the young viewers. The ads showing parents of those kids giving them such dishes readily can motivate the kids seeing strongly to nudge their parents.
- Freebies – Some entities also bundle in freebies and make use of the offers that are enticing to a kid’s mind in their ads. They can make use of toys and other bundled goodies to make the kids interested in buying the products.
Ways To Cope With The Impact of Ads On Your Children
When kids get influenced by various advertisements shown on TV, web or even those printed on magazines- they develop instant craving. The default reaction is beginning to nag the parents to buy those products and foods. In fact, some of those kids resort to behaviors shown by the kids in the ads they saw- including crying, rolling on the bed and so on!
There are ways to deal with kids affected by the advertisements and parents need to be tactful and patient in their response.
- Talking to the kids who are affected by ads and craving for fast food or toys is not easy but talking is necessary. Shouting or dismissing their demands right away is not the right approach. You need to talk in a calm and logical manner. And your logics should be accompanied with examples or they are not going to have much effect on the kids.
- It is also important that you develop a calm but strong mentality to cope with nagging and tantrums thrown by kids affected by the ads. Some parents give in too easily and this eventually proves to be detrimental to all.
- It is important that you are a role model for your kids before preaching them about the ill effects of using certain products or eating specific foods. Ensure you do not develop the habit of consuming fizzy drinks in scorching summer days or gorging on a hamburger to beat hunger pangs in a hurry. Unless your kids see you are not practicing healthy eating and lifestyle habits they will not listen to you for sure.
- You can be a little innovative and thoughtful in your approach to kids when they are affected by lure of ads. If it comes to battling the craving for some nutrient less and calorie heavy junk food shown on TV cook them a healthy but yummy dish at home. Try something they have not tasted before. This will make them understand home cooked foods can also be enticing to the taste buds.
Yes, today advertising has its way to lure not just kids but also adults thanks to their many fancy claims backed up with colorful ideas and representations. However, as a parent the responsibility falls upon you that you educate your child on what is good for him or her and what is not. After all, it is good parenting that will shape your child into a better person tomorrow.