Have you been waking up to a sore back and aching joints? Have you noticed a few lumps in your mattress? Have you been using the same mattress for the past seven years? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you may need to consider buying a new bed. It is probably time to let go of the old and buy a new one.
However, purchasing a mattress can be confusing and challenging because we don’t do it often. As a result, we are unable to establish a shopping routine for mattresses unlike other items. We also have to consider a lot of factors, including the size, type, and materials used to create the mattress. If you are looking for a new bed, you can ask your relatives and friends for recommendations; however, personal preference also comes into play. This article will provide you a basic guide to help you in choosing the right one.
Tips Before You Go Shopping
When shopping for a mattress, you first have to look for a reputable mattress store. Before you visit the store, you must first look into their website to get an idea of what they can offer you. Most stores offer information about the different types of mattresses they carry and how much they cost. You can compare their prices and determine which type of mattress will suit your budget. Although the mattress models vary from store to store, it is still advantageous to have a good idea of what you are looking for.
Aside from checking the different types of mattresses and their prices, you also need to measure the room where you plan to place the new bed. Take into account the size of the headboard and footboard. In addition, you also have to measure the hallway and the doorway. In doing so, you can make sure that the bed will fit. The standard mattress sizes are:
- Twin: 39″ x 75″
- Double: 54″ x 75″
- Queen: 60″ x 80″
- King: 76″ x 75″
Evaluating The Two Main Types Of Mattresses
Shopping for a mattress should be taken seriously. They come in a wide range of materials and construction. This means that you can find exactly what you want, but you might be overwhelmed by the variety of options. Educating yourself about the different mattresses can help you make your decision and find the right bed. Here are two of the most popular types of mattresses in the market today.
- Innerspring Mattress: This type of mattress is very popular and it is used by many people. This bed is comprised of coiled springs that can provide comfort and support. When evaluating this type of cushion, you need to consider the following elements:
- Coil Gauge: This is the thickness of the coils inside the bed. Remember that the higher the gauge, the thinner the spring. If you enjoy sleeping on a bed that feels springy, you must consider buying a mattress with a coil gauge between 14 and 15. If you want to lie down on a firmer bed, choose a lower gauge.
- Coil Count: This refers to the number of coils inside the mattress. Evaluating the coil count is essential since it makes a huge difference in the cushion’s quality; however, never assume that the more coils a mattress have, the better it is. You also have to consider factors, such as the construction and quality of the coil.
- Memory Foam Mattress: This type of bed reduces pressure points by molding to your body. The initial firmness of this mattress type usually comes as a surprise for most people, but memory foam can offer customized support that is advantageous for people who like sleeping on a firm mattress and for those who have trouble with their back. The main factors you need to consider are:
- Density: Low-density cushions have a density of around 3 pounds, and they offer better support but they are not very durable. High-density mattresses, on the other hand, can provide excellent support and durability but they may not be as firm as you expect them to be. Remember that this type of mattress softens when it warms up; thus, the density of this cushion will feel stiff when you first lie down.
- Construction: This type of bed is usually constructed with a solid piece of memory foam; however, there are also other varieties, such as spring mattresses with thin pieces of memory foam placed on top, or a bed that is half memory foam and half latex.
Choosing the right size and type of a mattress will help you find the right bed that is perfect for your needs and preferences. But before you can make a purchase, it is advisable to get as much information as possible. Additionally, if you have a health condition, you must first talk to your physician and seek their advice. Although they are not mattress experts, they are still capable of providing advice based on your medical condition and symptoms.