Skunks are one of the cutest animals in the wild. You may have seen one in the zoo. Although they are fond animals to watch, they may not be as fond to smell. In cases where you, your things, or even your pet may get skunked, you can use the following tips below to get rid of the skunk’s smell. Before going directly to the tricks on getting rid of skunk smell, let us start with some important reminders when dealing with skunk smell.
- First of all, skunk smell has to be treated just as other foul odors. Therefore, the sooner you get to clean the affected or skunked object or area the faster you get to remove the smell. The longer the musk remains untreated it would seep into your skin or the fabric of the affected material.
- If it is you, your child, or your pet that got skunked, make sure that the water you use in washing the affected area does not get splashed into the eyes. This would cause a burning sensation.
- When handling another skunked object, person, or animal, make sure to use either a pair of rubber gloves or even a towel. This will avoid the musk from transferring to your hands, thereby making things worse.
- In cases where your child or your pet got skunked, make sure to avoid the pet or your child from getting the skunked area of their body in contact with other furniture or things within your house or with other people.
As long as you keep the above-mentioned tips in mind, you may proceed with getting rid of the skunk smell with the tips below:
- You can make use of either hydrogen peroxide or baking soda. All you need to do is use it to prepare a bath. In cases when the affected area has hair or fur, you may have bleaching problems if you use peroxide. Instead, you can make use of lemon juice or white vinegar as an alternative. However, both do not work as well as the former. Make sure to let the solution remain for at least 10 minutes before you rinse it off. You can repeat bathing with this solution until the odor disappears completely.
- If you have oranges, simply use 5–10 of them and blender. Simply mix the juice with a little soap solution. Rinse and lather the affected area. Let it stay for about 10 minutes before rinsing. After completely rinsing the area, you may wash again the affected area with your favorite shampoo.
- You can use your regular sodas in rinsing the affected area if ever you got skunked outdoors. Simply rub the soda to the area and let it sit for about 10 minutes before completely rinsing it with water. Make sure to wash again the area with shampoo as soon as it is available
- You may purchase commercial skunk smell removers. Simply check with your nearest grocery store. You can also check for these products online.