Just about every city in the world deals with the unfortunate plight of homelessness. Of course, the one it affects the most is the homeless person and that person’s families.
Why it Occurs
One part of stopping homelessness is wondering why it occurs. Often it is a combination of job loss, illness, handicap, or other condition that causes a person to not be able to work.
Perhaps they have been denied government benefits and they have no family to turn to for shelter. Sometimes it can be pride as they may be afraid to ask for help but some people may just not have anyone to turn to at all.
Types of Homeless People
Often people are temporarily homeless. These people often may stay at a shelter until they can get a job and a place to live. They are just in the process of re-establishing themselves and getting back on their feet.
Sometimes people are homeless temporarily because they have gotten evicted. Most of these people can find a friend or family member to stay with. However some of them are left with no one to turn to so they might eventually go to a shelter.
Another group of individuals are the ones that are permanently homeless. They have maybe lost hope and just have accepted that being homeless is a way of life. Maybe they might go to a place to get free meals at times but they still live on the street, in an alley, or in an abandoned building.
Help for the Homeless
There are many ways to get rid of homelessness. Some of the ways are shown below:
- A soup kitchen can be started in your neighborhood to help feed them.
- A shelter can be erected to provide people on the street with a place to sleep.
- Programs for people who are disabled or displaced can receive encouragement and get a job.
- Goods and supplies can be distributed to people who live on the street. Food can be handed out to people who are at risk or already homeless.
- Donations can be given to help support and expand homeless shelter facilities.
- Focuses can be shifted from giving people a hand up rather than just a hand out. For instance, offers for free education can help them get a job and get off the street.
- Free counseling, blood tests, and so on can improve the health of homeless people. This can increase their chances of being more employable.