“I love French Fries, but they are too oily to relish and I am on a weight loss regimen. Is there any way you can make a healthy, low fat French Fries”? This is a very common question. And, why not. With so many aficionados around for this simple finger food, the existence of healthy fries is not an oxymoron anymore. A complex carbohydrate rich snack, it can easily be relished as a filling one, if prepared the correct way.
Here are few tips that could help you in making a healthy, low fat fries.
Tips To Prepare Health French Fries
1. Choose Sweet Potatoes Instead of Potatoes
One of the healthier way of preparing the fries is top opt out of potatoes. Choose sweet potatoes. There are rich in complex carbohydrates that will ensure that you are full the healthy way.
2. Slice With Skin On
You can retain the nutrients of the sweet potatoes by using them with skin. Wash them thoroughly and slice them into thin pieces akin to the potato fries.
3. Bid Adieu To Deep Frying
That is the first and foremost element essential to transform your fries into a healthy one. You can either bake them or stir-fry them with very little oil. The former option is better compared to the latter one as the oil used in the process is scarce. You can even grill the fries so that they taste akin to the deep fried cousins.
4. Use Oil In Scarce Amounts
Just a few drops – that is what you need to prepare the fries, even if you are stir frying, baking, or grilling.
5. Be Careful If You Are Buying Frozen Variants
The packaged forms normally come with trans fat, saturated fat, as well as sodium. Ensure that you are reading the labels properly before you buy them.
6. Use Spices Generously
You can use spices in the place of salt to make your healthy fries tastier. Black pepper powder, garlic powder, or any seasoning of your choice to spice your fries and relish them in a healthier way…
Here is a super healthy, low fat French Fries that is sure to leave you addicted to it… One serving yields just 110 calories and 3.5 g fat.
Low Fat French Fries Recipe
Preparation Time: 15 min
Baking Time: 40 min
- Sweet potatoes – 2 8 ounce each, washed, sliced finely
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Spices – to taste, optional
Method of Cooking
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Soak the potato slices in a dish filled with ice water for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water, pat dry the potatoes, and keep aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add salt and spices if you are using them. Drizzle half the oil and using a spoon mix the spices well.
- Add the dried potato slices and toss to ensure even distribution.
- Arrange seasoned potato slices on a baking sheet greased mildly.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until potatoes until golden brown. Keep tuning to ensure even cooking.
Do not serve these fries with ketchup or your favorite mayonnaise. Instead, opt for a low fat mayo or low fat ranch dressing prepared from low fat buttermilk. Sprinkle a generous amount of spices atop the fries before your serve.
What are you waiting for? Grab your portion and start enjoying your health low fat French Fries without guilt!