Sugar is not referred to as a real addiction. This is because despite having similar signs to other addictions, it does not exhibit withdrawal. It exhibits itself as more of a craving than an addiction. Sugar is one of the high calorie foods that the human body adapted to very fast. When there is scarcity of food, the body will naturally crave for sugars.
The best news is that sugar addiction is among the best of cravings as it is one that is easy to beat. When trying to beat the condition, one has to handle the issue systematically to handle the situation. The first and best is to determine the source of sugar.
Understanding the impact that taking too much sugar brings can provide needed help in preventing sugar addiction. Sugar has been associated with plenty of health risks such as Obesity, bad teeth, bad breath, and diabetes. Its high calorie link associates it with obesity. Cutting back on sugar intake is a healthy proceeding and one that is easy to achieve.
The steps to getting rid of sugar addiction is
- The first step is adding less sugar in drinks. Taking it back to a teaspoon from 2 teaspoons of sugar in your tea is a start. When making other recipes, you should also cut down from using full sugar options to lesser amount of sugar options. With the gradual reduction, the taste buds get accustomed to the new tastes.
- Identify your main sugar addiction sources and learn to say no when offered these instead of opting to take just a little bit of the delicacy. Saying no to the delicacy will help you kill your addiction to them.
- Substituting fruit juices to puree is worth considering. Juices may be sweet but remembering the idea is to reduce sugars will help you embrace puree. Puree works great at baking while allowing for the reduction of fats used but yet maintaining great flavors of the baking.
- Sodas are easy drinks to substitute. For a healthy life, it is easy to get off the sugar full drinks and run to diet drinks, which have less sugar. Taking in club soda and tonic water will provide great help in cutting down on sugars without having to experience cravings.
- Using natural sweeteners as substitutes to sugars when baking or on drinks like tea is good. The natural sweeteners can be used in small amounts while helping in keeping a healthy routine
- Finding diabetic recipes is a step to taking in healthy diets. You can easily get these through use of diabetic recipes cookbooks available in the market.
Taking in activities to keep busy like participating in workout or other engaging activities is good. Boredom is the main drive to eating sugar foods thus meaning that if one can get meaningful activities, one will be busy with the right activities to participate.
A lot of sugar in your system can get a bit problematic leading to god knows how many different diseases. Getting rid of a sweet tooth can actually benefit your overall health and increase your metabolism. So here are a few steps that can help you stop craving sugar so much.
Raid the Fridge
Find out and itemize all the places you can find sugar from, and categorically clean them out. Whatever you find, cookies or chocolate, put them all together in a jar and remove them from sight. Remember, out of sight, out of mind.
Less Is Better
Go without eating sweet stuff for a few days. Think about something else when your sugar craving hits, and avoid eating it for a while because that would enhance your mental strength against them.
Do not give in to your cravings. Rather, wait for the craving to hit, and then do something else to avoid eating it. Do not indulge yourself, because waiting for at least ten minutes will assure, this is exactly what you want to have, and it is not just a craving your mind is calling for.
Change Your Diet
If you are a sugar-lover then you would be missing out on important body nutrients regularly. Do not let that happen to you. Eat regular meals, and do not try to snack in between just to give in to your hunger.
Eat more protein because a lot of time it is protein your body craves and not sugar.
If you are absolutely desperate to have sugar, then eat healthy stuff like honey, and avoid that candy bar.
Don’t just watch what you eat, watch when you eat. Put yourself in a mental clock, and before and after that do not eat those ice creams, because that would be bad for you.
Do not take artificial sweeteners. Most of them contain aspartame, and that is not exactly nice for your body.
Stay away from coffee and other drinks that include caffeine in it. Rather, drink juices and water, and limit the cups of coffee you have each day.
Read the labels of the food you eat, and make sure you know what goes inside your system. Do not be fooled by healthy. Read the label and find out how healthy they are.
Relax And Sleep Well
Sleep is one of the best ways to get rid of sugar cravings. A healthy amount of snooze would put the sugar cravings back up and let your spirits float. A good night’s rest can do wonders for your body too.
Consult A Dietitian
If you have given up, then do not despair. Go ahead and consult a dietician who can show you the ay. Be smart and snack according to what your dietician says, and if possible, get recipes to help you get started.
Once you have put yourself in the bandwagon there is no stopping the health streak. But ease up and relax once in a while. And let go of your inhibitions, and indulge in a few tastes of sugar which is good for you in limited quantities.