Losartan is a common oral medicine that is used for the treatment of high blood pressure and hypertension. Thus, if you are facing complications due to an increased level of blood pressure, choosing Losartan can be helpful.
As per the latest research, it has also been found that Losartan can also be used for the treatment of complications like Covid-19. But, the effectiveness of the medicine for the treatment of Covid-19 is not yet known. The medicine belongs to a class of medicine called angiotensin II receptor blockers. It is mostly available in tablet form.
As Losartan is a receptor blocker, it offers relaxation to the blood vessels and lowers blood pressure. Thus, it becomes easier for the heart to pump blood throughout the body. It does by blocking the action of the hormone angiotensin II, which otherwise works to narrow your veins and arteries. The medicine also helps your body in retaining more fluid and sodium.
Uses of Losartan
Losartan is an FDA-approved drug that lowers blood pressure that is too high. The drug also reduces the risk of stroke in people who have high blood pressure and left ventricular hypertrophy. It is a heart condition in which people have an enlarged heart. Losartan also helps in the treatment of kidney damage in people who are suffering from type II diabetes. It is a condition that occurs when the body does not use insulin effectively or when the blood glucose in the body is too high.
Factors to keep in mind before taking Losartan
If you have any of the below-mentioned conditions, you may be prescribed Losartan alone or in combination with other medicines.
- High blood pressure
- Type II diabetes and kidney damage
- High blood pressure and enlargement of the heart
Before taking medicine, try to talk to your healthcare provider about the other medication, supplements, and vitamins that you are currently taking. While the use of some drugs may cause minor interaction, others may have dangerous impacts. Thus, you need to consider the pros and cons of the medicine before consumption.
How does Losartan work?
- Losartan is used for the treatment of high blood pressure and different types of kidney diseases.
- The medicine works by blocking the impact of angiotensin II, which is a hormone that causes the narrowing down of the blood vessels. Blocking of angiotensin II dilates the blood vessels and lowers the blood pressure. Losartan also increases the excretion of certain salts from the kidney.
- It belongs to a category of medicine called angiotensin II receptor blocker.
Advantages of taking Losartan
Following are the major benefits of taking Losartan:
- It is helpful in the treatment of high blood pressure in adults and children over the age of six.
- It is also helpful in reducing the risk of strokes in people with high blood pressure and left ventricular hypertrophy. But, these benefits do not apply to African-American people.
- The reduction in blood pressure is also helpful in reducing the risk of fatal as well as non-fatal cardiovascular health conditions.
- It is helpful in the treatment of kidney diseases in people with Type II diabetes and people who have a history of high blood pressure and elevated levels of creatinine and urinary protein.
- Helps in improving kidney functioning in people who do not have kidney diseases.
- The medicine is preferred for use in people who have more than one type of heart condition.
- Losartan tablets are also helpful in people who have difficulty in swallowing.
- The tablet is available in three different strengths: 25mg, 50mg, and 100mg.
- Losartan is available as generic as well as with the brand name Cozaar.
Disadvantages of Losartan
If you belong to the age category of 18-60 and you are no longer on any medication or if you don’t have any medical conditions, some of the major side effects that you may experience include:
- Acute dizziness, nasal congestion, an infection. It can also cause back pain, diarrhea, tiredness, and low blood sugar.
- Persistent cough and cold feeling is other major side effect of Losartan.
Tips to take Losartan
Following are the tips that you need to follow if you are consuming Losartan:
- Can be consumed with or without food
- Make sure that you are adequately hydrated before you consume this medicine.
- The dosage of the medicine needs to be adjusted depending upon your body’s ability to respond to the effect.
- The medicine can also be administered along with other drugs that are used to lower blood pressure.
- Losartan can also cause a drop in blood pressure. Thus, sometimes it can make you feel dizzy. If this happens to you, make sure to talk to your doctor.
- If you are feeling that your feet, ankles, and hands are swelling up, this may be a sign that your kidney is not working well.
For people who are facing the dangerous impact of increased blood pressure and kidney damage, Losartan is one of the best medicines that you can use.