Have you recently conducted a mold inspection? Do you have mold growth in your basement? Well, that is a sure sign that it is either wet or damp and humid. Mold in your basement can cause major health problems, which is why it is important to make sure that this space in your home is always dry. The sooner you get rid of mold and prevent it from growing again, the better it is for your family and your home.
What to Look For During a Basement Mold Inspection
Basements are often neglected by homeowners, probably due to the fact that they are not used much. However, mold can grow due to negligence, making your home an unhealthy environment for everyone. While you are inspecting your basement for mold, look out for:
- Leaks that could cause dampness
- High level of humidity
- Water droplets in basement pipes
- Cracks on walls and foundation
Tips to Have a Mold-free Basement
- If you want to make sure that your basement does not have mold growth, there are useful tips that can help you. These tips include:
- If your basement has been flooded, act quickly and dry it immediately.
- Make sure that the ground slopes away from the foundation of your home.
- Do not grow plants too close to your foundation as water can be pushed into your home.
- Make sure that your downspouts point away from your home’s foundation.
- Wrap your basement pipes to prevent humidity from causing droplets of water.
- Make sure that your basement is well-ventilated by using fans so that air is always circulating.
- Cover your dirt crawl spaces with plastic sheeting and also use a humidifier for the area.
- Make sure that a basement humidifier is always running to decrease humidity by 50% and prevent mold growth.
- Always make sure that your basement doors are open.
- Make sure that there are no cracks on your foundation or walls to prevent water leakage in your basement.
- Make sure that the water that falls on your roof is properly drained into your gutter system to flow out.
- Your discharge lines should always run to the storm sewer.
- Make sure that your sump pump is properly covered.
- Keep your walls, ceilings and floors clean by using a vinegar solution as this is an effective way to prevent mold growth.
- Your ducts, pipes and other surfaces that are cool should be insulated so that condensation of water vapor is prevented.
- Do not ignore water spills in the basement and dry them up as fast as you can.
- Always dry building materials that are wet immediately.
- It is best not to use a carpet in your basement as it can easily get damp and encourage mold growth.
- You should increase the temperature in your basement if you need to; this will prevent condensation on cold surface.
- Get a humidity monitor for your basement and always ensure that your basement’s relative humidity is at 55% or below.
- Your clothes dryer should release air outside to prevent mold growth.
- Do not store wood in the basement as it is the ideal mold habitat.
- Do not grow indoor plants in your basement as they will provide nutrition for the growth of mold and mildew.
- Try to keep your basement as clutter-free as you can as too many items can prevent air from flowing freely and ventilating the space.
- Always make sure that sinks, tubs and other plumbing are sealed to prevent water from seeping into the walls.
- Make sure that you conduct regular checks for leaks so that you can repair them as soon as possible and prevent the growth of mold
- Clean your basement regularly; many people often neglect this part of their home which is why mold and mildew grow.
Importance of Basement Inspection for Mold
As mentioned earlier, the growth of mold in basements is a health hazard. With mold come bacteria and other organisms that can cause health problems to you and your loved ones. You should check your basement on a regular basis to make sure that there is nothing that could cause mold growth. The moisture level and humidity should be low at all times. Apart from being unhealthy, mold can also destroy items that you store in this part of your home.
If you have been neglecting your basement, it is high time that you start taking care of it. With regular mould inspection, you can keep your family safe from health hazards and your home from damage. Your basement is just as important as other parts of your home so do not leave it neglected. This will help immensely in the prevention of mould growth and the development of an unhealthy environment in your home.