There are stupid people everywhere and workplace is no different. You can either like them or dislike them, but you can’t avoid them. They insist on making their presence felt by their stupidity. The trouble is that most of them do not know that they are stupid. Many of them actually believe that they are smarter and more intelligent than their colleagues. Correcting them often backfires, because they feel insulted and angry.
Stupid people at the workplace can be irritating and exasperating, but there are ways to deal with them. When dealing with stupid people, patience is the key so always try to be patience with them and never lose your cool. Here are some useful tips on how to deal with stupid people at work:
- Be patient with them: Be patient with them, give them a pleasant smile (not a sarcastic or what-a-fool-you-are type of smile) and a friendly pat, and go about your business as if you are not the least bothered. They won’t feel humiliated and you won’t have to worry all about hurting their feelings.
- Correct them politely: Some stupid people do not mind being corrected; others feel insulted and humiliated. So be careful not to hurt their feelings. If you catch them doing stupid things, then correct them very politely. Give them suggestions instead of orders or instructions. You can get them to do the right things with kindness and politeness.
- Do not yell: When you see someone doing something stupid, your first instinct will be to yell at that person. But you should refrain from doing so as you will only succeed at making an enemy. Besides, yelling rarely works. It makes then nervous and more stupid. Yelling also makes them feel resentful of you.
- Offer to help: Stupid people do stupid things because they either lack intelligence or have inadequate understanding of things. Some simply do not want to learn. If you find it painful or irritating to see them making mistakes after mistakes, then politely offer to help them do things the right way. The next time they are in doubt, they will come to you.
- Ignore them: If they insist on continuing with their stupidity, then ignore them. Doing so won’t make them less stupid, but it will help you become impervious to their stupidity. What you can’t see can’t trouble you, and if it doesn’t trouble you then it’s not your problem. Ignoring can be difficult if they insist on accosting you, but they will get the message loud and clear after a few days.
- Walk away from them: If all else fails, then give them a how-stupid-you-are look and walk away from them. Admittedly, walking away from stupid people leaving them to their own devices does not solve the problem. Not immediately any way. But if you keep walking away, they will eventually get the message and make an effort to smarten up.