There are plenty of vegetable based dishes that can be served as starters and they taste delicious too. One such instance is Gobi Manchurian, a mouth watering dish made with cauliflower and a variety of vegetable and spices. The florets are dipped in a spicy sauce and have a crispy coat on the exterior. The dish had been invented most likely by the Chinese community living in India. While Gobi Manchurian is quite popular in all parts of India, a dry variant of the dish has also become much sought after in recent times. You can easily cook dry version of this dish at home. It does not take much time either.
Ingredients you will need:
For the florets, you will require:
- Corn Flour
- All purpose flour
- Medium sized florets of Cauliflower
- Ginger paste
- Garlic paste
For sautéing the florets you will require:
- Ginger paste
- Garlic paste
- Finely chopped Onion
- Finely chopped green chilies
- Finely chopped green Capsicum
- Chilli Sauce
- Tomato sauce/ketchup
- Soy Sauce
How to cook:
You will need to prepare and cook the florets first and then prepare the spice mix for this dish.
- At first, you need to boil the cauliflower florets in water after adding a small amount of salt. After a few minutes, put off the flame and drain the boiled water. Put the boiled florets on a strainer to make them dry.
- Now mix all purpose flour, corn flour, garlic paste, salt and ginger paste in a bowl. Add some water to the mix to make a batter. This batter should not be too light or thick, as it is.
- Then add the boiled and soft florets in this batter and mix with care. Ensure the florets are well coated for great taste.
- Now, heat the oil in a deep pan. Deep fry the florets in oil. For uniform frying, put 6 to 7 florets in the pan at a time and then remove them to add remaining ones. The florets should turn golden brown. This way, you have to fry all the florets. Keep them aside in a plate.
- After the florets are fried, you need to heat up some oil in the pan again. Add the garlic paste, ginger paste, and chopped vegetables in it. Keep the flame low and stir fry the ingredients.
- Keep sautéing the vegetables and spice for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Then pour in the chilli sauce, tomato ketchup, soy sauce and add salt to the mixture.
- Keep on stirring and then add the deep fried florets.
- Now, turn the flame high and stir the florets to ensure they get well coated in the spice and vegetable mix. This is an essential step to bring the delicious flavor.
- When it is still hot, serve the dry Gobi Manchurian. You may also use some chopped spring onion on top for garnishing.
Some handy Tips for preparing and serving the dish
To get the crunchy feeling in the deep fried florets, do not put idle for long after frying is done. The amount of soy sauce and chili sauce can be varied to bring in the exact flavor you like. Ensure the florets are cleaned properly before you cook them. They should not be cut big in size. You may serve steaming hot dry Gobi Manchurian with Schezwan fried rice or vegetable rice, but it also serves as an excellent appetizer at parties or home events!