Spring rolls are tasty Chinese delights that can easily be prepared. While the authentic version calls for deep frying the stuffed rolls, the health conscious can easily bake these and enjoy them without losing on the taste factor. One of the most sought after appetizer options for any Chinese themed party, these taste the best when relished hot with a spicy dip of your choice. You can fill the wrappers with ingredients of your choice – right from raw veggies such as carrots, bean sprouts, and cabbage flavored mildly with fresh and dried herbs to an impressive array of non-vegetarian delicacies such as salmon, shrimp, and chicken. The choice is yours. Just make sure that you have all your ingredients and utensils handy before you kick off your spring roll making journey.
Here is a simple, yet authentic recipe for making spring rolls at the convenience of your home.
The Ingredient List
Keep these ingredients handy to prepare this tasty delight:
- Spring roll wrappers – 10
- Carrot – 1, large, peeled, roughly grated
- White cabbage – ¼ cup, shredded
- Purple cabbage – ¼ cup, shredded
- Red bell pepper – 1/8 cup, thinly sliced
- Green bell pepper – 1/8 cup, thinly sliced
- Bean sprouts – 1/8 cup
- Bamboo shoots – 6, finely sliced
- Rice noodles – ½ cup, soaked in water
- Onion – 2, large, peeled, finely sliced
Ingredients For Seasoning
- Oyster sauce – 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Red paprika sauce – ½ tsp
- Vinegar – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- White pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Vegetable oil – 4 cups or enough for deep frying
- Egg – 1, thoroughly beaten
What All Do You Need
- Shallow frying pan
- Basting brush
- Deep frying pan
- Slotted spoon
- A flat dish
- Paper towels
- Dips and Sauces of Your Choice
- Soak your spring roll wrapper in boiling hot water for about 30 seconds or until they become soft. Remove from the water, drain off the excess water, and spread out on a clean, dry surface.
Cooking The Vegetables
- Wash all the vegetables thoroughly and chop or slice the vegetables as mentioned in the ingredients section. Keep aside.
- Place the shallow frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil to the pan and allow to heat up.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Mix in the peppers followed by cabbages and carrots.
- Saute the mixture for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Mix in bean sprouts and bamboo shoots.
- Sprinkle a little water and keep sauteing until the vegetables turn crispy tender.
- Mix in all the ingredients of seasoning, including salt and pepper.
- Mix everything well, remove from heat, transfer to a plate and keep aside until cool.
Preparing The Spring Rolls
- Now you can start preparing the rolls.
- Place a spring roll wrapper on a clean, dry place in front of you.
- Dip a basting brush in beaten egg and apply it on the corners on the wrapper.
- Fill one corner of the wrapper with the cooked veggies and shape it into a log.
- Start wrapping the roll, from one corner, moving up diagonally, until you complete rolling. Leave a little space above for you to lift and tuck the wrapper beneath the filling.
- Fold over the right and then the left in such a way that the roll now looks like a log.
- Apply a little beaten egg on the top and seal your roll.
- Repeat the same with other wrappers also.
- Keep aside the prepared rolls in a clean place and cover using a plastic sheet to prevent them from drying out.
Deep Frying The Spring Rolls
- Place the deep frying pan on high heat with 4 cups of vegetable oil in it.
- Heat the oil to smoking point.
- Add the rolls, one or two at a time.
- Lower the heat to medium to high and deep fry the rolls.
- Using a slotted spoon, keep turning the rolls.
- Keep frying the rolls until they turn golden brown.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil, if any.
Serve hot with a dip of your choice.