Trevti dal is an authentic mixed lentil delicacy from the rich cuisine of Gujarat, and perhaps, one of the most sought after restaurant delights too. A delightful mixture of split chickpeas, split, unshelled green gram, and pigeon peas are cooked and simmered in a rich blend of onions and tomatoes. Flavored generously with ginger and garlic, this lentil delicacy makes an ideal side dish for rice as well as assorted types of rotis/Indian flatbreads. If you want to serve it the authentic Gujarati style, then opt for garlic flavored chutney and bajra rotla in your lunch menu.
Read on to know how you can prepare the tasty trevti dal at home without compromising on the health and taste factors.
Here are the list of ingredients that should be kept with you before you start preparing trevti dal…
- Chana dal [Split chickpeas/ Bengal gram dal] – ¼ cup
- Pigeon peas [Tuvar dal/arhar dal] – ¼ cup
- Yellow green gram dal [split yellow gram/moong dal] – ¼ cup
- Cooking oil – 3 tbsp
- Green chili – 4, split lengthwise
- Ginger – 1 1-inch piece, peeled, finely grated
- Garlic – 12 cloves, peeled, finely chopped
Spices For Seasoning
- Cumin seeds [Jeera] – 1 tsp
- Cloves [laung] – 2, roughly crushed
- Bay leaf [tej patta] – 1
- Dried red chili – 2, roughly broken
- Asafetida [hing] – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder [haldi] – ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Water –a s required for cooking
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
- Roti of your choice
- Garlic chutney
How To Make Trevti Dal
Measure all the lentils using the same cup.
- Wash all the lentils until running water.
- Add 2 cups of water and turmeric powder to the lentils and pressure for 4 whistles or until dal is cooked nicely.
- Turn off the heat and wait until the pressure subsides completely.
- Meanwhile, wash onions, tomatoes, and green chilies and cut those according to the instructions mentioned under the Ingredients.
- Place a deep frying pan on medium to high heat.
- Add oil and allow it to come to smoking point.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add bay leaf, cloves, and red chilies and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add asafetida and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add ginger, garlic, and green chilies and sauté until garlic turns pale golden.
- Add onions and sauté until deep brown.
- Mix in tomatoes and cook, covered, for about 7 minutes or until tomatoes turn gooey.
- As the tomatoes get cooked, mashed the lentil mixture and keep handy.
- Mix in mashed lentil mixture and about 1 ½ cups water.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil.
- Add salt and simmer for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Check the salt and add more if required.
- Turn off the heat and mix in coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice/Indian flatbread.
There are a handful of variations that you can try to pep up the flavors of the dish.
1. Spicy Trevti Dal
For those who love their dals to be spicy, mix in about 1 tsp of red chili powder just befor adding salt and let the mixture simmer for 3 minutes. You can adjust the spice level as per your taste buds.
2. Saagwale Trevti Dal
Mix in any green leaves of your choice to the dal. If you are using fenugreek or moringa leaves, add them with salt and allow them to get cooked. If you want to add palak leaves, finely chop the leaves and mix it with the onion-tomato mixture to ensure proper cooking.
How do you wish to enjoy trevti dal? Share your views with us….