Threading the eyebrows enhances your facial features, but the skin breakouts that happen later fades away the glory of threading. Skin specialists agree to the fact that threading and waxing open up the pores. The good news here is that you can still enjoy your threading while ensuring that your skin does not breakout. Here are some simple steps that you could do before and after threading to prevent acne.
Things You Should Do Before Threading
Do these before you visit the beauty parlor.
- Wash your face using a mild soap-free cleanser.
- Exfoliate the area of threading to eliminate the dirt and bacteria and cleanse the skin.
- Follow up with a little baby powder to absorb the excess oil and prevent skin irritation.
Things To Do After Threading
These are the rules you must follow so as to prevent breakouts after threading.
- Do not touch the threaded area for about 24 hours as touching frequently could trigger rashes and breakouts.
- Do not exfoliate as scrubbing could worsen the outbreaks.
- Avoid the application of any cosmetics on the face for at least 12 hours. You should even avoid moisturizers and anti-ageing creams as these products contain acids that promote pimples and breakouts.
- Stay away from steaming and waxing treatments for at least 24 hours of threading.
- Apply a soothing lotion or natural oil to ease and soothe the irritation. You could use virgin coconut oil, rose essential oil, or aloe vera gel to soothe and calm down the flared up area. All these solutions have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent outbreaks and infections.
- You could rub in ice cubes on the face to soothe the irritation and discomfort experienced by your face.
- Avoid coming into direct contact with sunlight for a period of 48 hours after you complete the appointment. If you have to step out, then use proper UV protection. Avoid sunbathing. Wear big hats and sunglasses whenever you have to step out within 48 hours of the treatment.
- Do not wash your face or opt for a hot shower for at least 4 hours after threading. You could wash your face after 4 hours with lukewarm water and a mild anti-bacterial face wash to eliminate any dirt or germs that would otherwise clog the area.
- Massage the area with cold milk or ice cubes after 20 minutes of threading to ease the redness, inflammation, and irritation you might be experiencing.
- Moisturize the area with a mild cream or oil after 2 hours to ease the pain, if any.
- Dab in a little tea tree oil within minutes of threading to prevent redness, allergies, and outbreaks in that area.
- Avoid indulging in swimming or spray tanning for at least 48 hours.
- Cleanse your face with a toner containing witch hazel. This herbs contains the catechol tannins that could eliminate the dirt or bacteria and minimize the pore size, thus preventing outbreaks.
- If you are prone to acne, then use a toner containing salicylic acid after 2 to 4 hours of threading. Salicylic acid breaks down the oil that gets trapped in between the hair follicles. It also helps in eliminating the bacteria that promote outbreaks.
What Should You Do When You Experience Even After Taking The Preventive Measures?
Well, this question is something that needs to be addressed. There are times when you become upset as the skin breakouts despite taking adequate care. In such moments, instead of indulging in the blame game, do the following things to ease the pain, inflammation, and itching.
- Use a mild topical hydrocortisone cream over the affected area to ease the inflammation and do away with the irritation.
- Do not crush and squeeze the breakouts as this could worsen the condition by triggering the spread of the infection to other regions on the face.
- Break one capsule of vitamin E into 3 tbsp milk and mix well. Cleanse your face thoroughly with a mild face wash and massage with this mixture to promote healing.
- Dip a cotton swab in a little calamine lotion and apply it around the cysts. Allow the lotion to dry and wait for three hours before washing off with water. Repeat twice a day.
What do you do to prevent acne after threading? Why don’t you share your views with us?