Sun spots are also known as Lentigens are basically splashes of hyper pigmentation seen on cheek, nose and forehead region, most predominantly. They more common skin worry in sensitive skin varieties and Lighter skin tones that occur due to prolonged exposure to the UV rays in the sun. They are quite unsightly and can lower the self confidence of the person having them.
What Can You Do About Sun Spots?
Prevention of Sun Spots
When it comes to sun spots, prevention is easier than cure. Here are a few things to take care of:
- Never skin out of your home unarmed against the sun. Always carry certain accessories like umbrellas, hats or scarves alpng. It is particularly, advisable not to be out under the harsh sun between the peak hours that is between 12pm to 4pm.
- Always wear a sun block lotion and do it right!! You should apply sun block lotion at least 15 to 20 minutes prior to going out so that it is absorbed well. Also, you must reapply it iafter 40 minutes if you are staying outdoors. Also, you need frequent applications if you are in a high humidity area or if you happened to go for a swim.
- Look out for sweat and water resistant varieties if possible.
- Choose a SPF between 30 to 45 at least.
- You should not skip sunscreen on cloudy days and in evenings. UV rays are still there even though they might not be obvious.
Home Remedies for Sun Spot Treatment
Sun spots are a sign of damage that exposure to UV rays causes to your skin cells. Aloe Vera gel, especially the natural/ freshly squeezed one is a powerful reparative remedy that combats the skin damage. Apply this two times a day to reduce the bothersome appearance of lentigens on your face.
Honey is another reparative liquid readily available in your kitchen. Combine it with Aloe Vera gel of some fresh lemon juice. You may also squeeze out the content of a Vitamin E capsule. Lemon has a natural bleaching property that lightens sun spots over time. However, do this remedy when you are not planning to go out doors for at least a couple of hours. This is best done before bed time as lemon juice makes the skin photosensitive.
Apply fresh tomato juice. Lycopenes present in tomatoes help in repairing skin.
Apply apple cider vinegar mixed with some orange juice.
Make a paste out of olive oil and turmeric over your face.
Cosmetic Products For Sun Spot Treatment
Use a mild scrub daily as exfoliation is believed to be helpful against sun spots.
Please do not self prescribe any of these and consult a licensed dermatologist before buying any such product as a doctor would best evaluate your skin type and the severity of your problem. Your doctor might advice you regarding topic medications containing some of the following ingredients:
Kojic acid, tretinoin, Azealic acid, hydroquinone etc
You may also go for regular bleaching at home to reduce appearance of sun spots.
Cosmetic Procedures For Sun Spot Treatment
- Laser treatment: Laser is used to remove damaged portions of skin.
- Chemical peels: Certain chemicals (acids) are used to remove damaged layers.
- Intense pulsed light therapy.
I would like to remind you that none of these remedies are going to work overnight. All of these need some time to work, may be a couple of months at least with regular usage. The cosmetic procedures might also need a few sessions before the results are visible. So, be patient.