What do Adele, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Cher, Tina Turner, and Gwen Stefani have in common? That’s right, they’re all superstars – but, beyond that, they are all known to wear wigs. In the fast-moving world of the 21st century, styles in hair can change just as quickly as styles in clothes, so many celebrities find that the easiest way to keep up with the trend is to reach for a wig. But it’s not just the rich and famous who have embraced this trend. Many women of all ages and from all backgrounds are discovering the joy of an instant good hair day.
Reasons to Wear a Wig
So what are the advantages of wearing a wig? Here are some of the reasons why it is such a popular and stylish option:
- Perfect Style and Colour: You can be confident that your favourite wig will look great every time – just like your favourite dress. With no need to rush out and get an expensive new cut or arrange a blow-dry in preparation for a special event, you can concentrate on make-up, jewellery and accessories instead. Wigs have improved greatly in recent years and now look far more realistic and natural, so that, if you get the right wig, it is impossible to tell it isn’t your own hair.
- Taking the Strain Off Your Own Hair: Constantly styling your locks to keep up with the latest fashions can take a toll. Dyeing only adds to the stress factor, especially if you are tempted by dramatic colours like platinum blonde, and hair extensions may also cause problems, even leading to hair falling out. Wearing a wig gives some respite to your hair and can bring back the shine to your crowning glory.
- Ringing the Changes: If you fancy a temporary change of hairstyle, often this can be difficult to achieve. Decide on a sharp bob or jagged fringe and you will be stuck with it for the duration, while a new colour will be with you until the roots finally grow out. However, trying different wigs means you can change your look as you wish, and you can also experiment with a style before deciding whether it’s for you. It’s also possible to cut, accessorise and style wigs in order to give them a fresh look.
- Helping With Hair Loss: If you are suffering from female hair loss, perhaps a temporary problem due to conditions such as alopecia or as a result of cancer treatment, then you may choose to wear a wig in order to give confidence. Your own hair will also be able to grow back underneath without needing to be styled.
- Cutting Time and Costs: Wearing a wig can save you many hours of time sitting in salons. Also, while a good wig does involve a financial outlay, it will mean you save on frequent hairdressing bills.
How to Avoid Wig Pitfalls
Wigs are definitely in fashion, withretailers having seen sales grow in recent years. However, there are a few pitfalls which you need to watch out for in order to be sure you wear that wig well and make the right impression. First off, take your time when choosing and make sure you go for a wig which will suit your colouring and look natural, even if it means spending a bit extra. The results will be worth it.
It’s important to be prepared to get a new wig styled and cut into a shape to suit your face, rather than wearing it straight out of the box. This will ensure that it looks natural. Another essential is checking out and following the care instructions. Be aware that wigs need to be washed in a different way from your own hair, with different methods for synthetic and human hair wigs, and they must be kept on a mannequin’s head to retain their shape.
Some wigs can make your head feel hot and itchy, especially if you are off on holiday abroad, but modern wigs do tend to be much lighter than older ones, so this may not turn out to be such a problem as you fear.
Styles to Choose From
There are almost as many different types of wig to choose from as there are hairstyles, so the choice can be quite daunting – but this also makes it more fun choosing. You also need to decide between human hair wigs and synthetic ones. The human hair ones last longer and have a reputation for high quality, but will cost a lot more.
Synthetic wigs are cheaper and don’t last for as long, but the quality has improved massively in recent years and they also tend to be a lighter option. Either way, the important thing is to choose something which you are happy with, and enjoy watching those heads turn!