Do you like corn? I think most of the people love to eat corn in rainy season. However it looks like a vegetable but in reality it is a food grain. Today there are many varieties in corns are available such as red, blue purple, brown, baby, butter and sugar corn. The corn is not only delicious but also very nutritious because it contains minerals, vitamins and fiber. Hence, today in this article we are discussing about some health benefits of corn.
Corn is also known as Zea mays and in India the sellers and most of the people named as ‘bhutta’. It is a big grain plant whose leafy stalk creates ears that cover grains sheltered by silk-like outfits called corn silk and covered in a husk. The corn is mainly established in Mexico as well as in Central America.
Nutrition in Corn:
In corn many nutrients are present such as vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, and antioxidants. They are as follows;
- Vitamins: corn contains vitamin C, vitamin E, B vitamins such as Thiamin and Niacin, Pantothenic acid, large amount of folate and beta-carotene for vitamin A formation.
- Fiber: It is great in dietary fiber and sweet corn covers equally soluble as well as insoluble fiber.
- Antioxidant Phytonutrients: Variety of corns involves different types of phytonutrients like Ferulic acid and yellow corn contains carotenoids that give lutein and zeaxanthin. Blue corn comparises of anthocyanin antioxidants while purple corn encloses protocatechuic acid which is a strong antioxidant.
- Carbohydrates: high amount of carbohydrates that offers nearly 82 percent of calories of this food grain. A half cup of corn comprises about 80 calories.
Top 7 Health Benefits of Corn:
There is several health benefits of corn or are there and they are as follows;
1. Helps in Digestion:
Corn provides good digestive benefits because it is a decent source of fiber, both soluble as well as insoluble. Therefore it is very helpful to improve common digestive illnesses like constipation and colon cancer as well as hemorrhoids
2. Cardiovascular Health:
Corn grain is great in folate that is a type of B-vitamin and is responsible for decreasing homocysteine. A homocysteine is an inflammatory indicator recognized to heart diseases. Corn oil gives anti-atherogenic effect and hence it stops the arteries from becoming clogged, decreases blood pressure and lessens the danger of heart attack and stroke. A diet high in folate may suggestively diminish the threat of emerging heart and other cardiovascular linked diseases.
3. Enhanced Brain Function:
Corn is rich source of thiamine that supports in working of the brain to allow one to perform intellectual responsibilities. Thiamine also manufactures acetylocholine, a neurotransmitter which toughens the memory and prevents Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Decreases the Danger of Cancer:
Corn contains various phytonutrients which are beneficial for treating different types of cancer.
- Digestive cancer: The phytonutrients in the form of bound phenolics related to lower risk of colon as well as other digestive cancers.
- Liver and breast tumors: ferulic acid, a phenolic compound which is present in corn is very helpful to prevent this cancer.
- Lung cancer: Beta-cryptoxanthin, an orange-red carotenoid reduces the chances of this type of cancer.
5. Eye Health:
Yellow corn contains a great amount of beta-carotene that is responsible for manufacture of vitamin A in the body. Therefore it is very significant for eye health as well as good vision. In corn lutein, zeaxanthin and carotenoids are also plays an effective role to lower the chances of macular disintegration and growth of cataracts.
6. Healthy Hair:
If you want healthy hair then hot corn oil treatment or massage gives silky and soft hairs. Corn oil involves a good balance of omega-6 fatty acids as well as omega-3 fatty acids that plays an effective role to controls irritation and stops the scalp to become dry and blistered. Try this you will get lustrous and long hair.
7. Prevents Diabetes and Hypertension:
Ingesting of corn kernels contributes in the organization of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). Also cornstarch, a manufactured goods made from corn was exposed to recover glucose metabolism in usual and heavy women. The phenolic phytochemicals exist in whole corn are effective in hypertension.
So, these are the health benefits of corns and I hope you find this article very beneficial as well as informative. Enjoy eating corns!