Besides being inexpensive, delicious and readily available, sweet potatoes also provide numerous health benefits for being packed with nutrition. They are believed to be a superb source of dietary minerals, including foliate, manganese, iron and copper. Additionally, its varieties are considered an excellent source of biotin, carotenes as well as vitamins B2, B6, C and E, and fibre as well.
Sweet Potatoes – Health Benefits
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is known for fighting flu and cold viruses. However, surprisingly for many, this vitamin also works wonders for tooth and bone health, as well as blood cell formation and digestion. This wonderful vitamin also hastens healing of wounds, increases production of collagen, thus retaining the elasticity and radiance of skin. Sweet potatoes, being a rich source of Vitamin C, provide the aforesaid health benefits.
- Vitamin D – Sweet potatoes contain high content of vitamin D. This essential vitamin helps maintain immune health besides playing crucial role in the improvement of energy levels, bone health, heart, skin, teeth, and nerves besides controlling mood swings.
- Potassium – Potassium is one of the most essential electrolytes required by the body to stabilize nerve signals and heartbeats. This essential electrolyte, contained in sweet potatoes, provides numerous health benefits like relief from swelling, muscle contraction, plus protection and regulation of kidney functions.
- Iron – Iron, one of the important components of sweet potatoes, is known to support human health for increased energy levels, besides increasing stress resistance, cell production, protein metabolism, and many more.
- Carotenoids – The affluent orange colour is due to the high content of carotenoids, including beta carotene along with other carotenoids. These carotenoids are the herald of vitamin A in the body. The carotenoids work for improvement of eyesight and immune power for being potent antioxidants and avoiding anti-aging effects.
- Magnesium – This important mineral is good for muscle relaxation and relieves stress. Sweet potatoes contain rich content of magnesium thus providing health benefits like healthy blood, arteries, bones, heart, nerves, and muscles.
- Natural Sugars – The sweet taste is because of the natural sugars contained in this food. These natural sugars get released gradually in the blood, thus ensuring a regular and balanced source of energy. This indicates that having sweet potatoes does not rise the blood sugar level.
- Versatile Food – This is a food item that can be tried in pureed, roasted, baked, steamed, or grilled form. These can be added to stews and soups, as well as grill. Green salads can be made really delicious with sweet potatoes placed on the top. Another tasteful recipe is a combination of grilled red peppers and onions added with sweet potatoes to make tasty wraps and sandwiches. Added to baked foods and smoothies in pureed form, these add an amazing taste to the dish.
Sweet Potatoes for Weight Loss
In addition to the aforesaid health benefits of sweet potatoes, they can also work wonders for reducing weight because of the high fibre content, high water percentage, and low calorie count contained in them.
High Dietary Fiber
The rich content of dietary fibre contained in sweet potatoes is great to aid the weight loss process. Fibre, being bulky, makes you feel filled for long durations. This prevents overeating thus cutting down the chances of taking in high calorie foods and avoiding a potential increase in weight.
Low Calorie Count
Sweet potatoes feature a remarkably low calorie count that supports weight loss process. Taking pulverized sweet potatoes in the form of pancakes can provide taste along with cutting down on calories.
Rich Water Content
High water content foods not only support weight loss, but also prevent it from coming back. Sweet potatoes are a food item that contains rich water content which is good for weight loss – short term as well as long term. This is for the same reason that water keeps your stomach filled for long durations thus preventing you from overeating thereby accomplishing the weight loss goals set by you.
So, if you want to enjoy the numerous health benefits of sweet potatoes, learn to incorporate them into your daily meal plan. You won’t regret it!