For any mother, it is a worrisome thing to realize that her baby boy or girl is running a temperature that is hotter than usual. It could be a regular flu or precursor of a serious ailment. The first thing that you would want to do is checking the temperature and a thermometer is required. Calling the doctor is the next step. You should invest in a new digital thermometer for this purpose.
Why Check Your Baby’s Temperature Using A Digital Thermometer
In your childhood, parents probably used those mercury filled thermometers that you were asked to put either in your mouth or under the armpits. They are still available, but most parents prefer using a digital thermometer nowadays. This is definitely not without reasons.
The major reasons for choosing a digital thermometer are:
- It gives an absolutely accurate reading of body temperature
- It does not contain mercury and so no risk of leakage
How To Take Your Kid’s Temperature Using A Digital Thermometer
- Turn the digital thermometer on and make sure the screen does not display old reading. Read the manufacturer’s guide if required.
- Now, make the baby sit on your lap or bed and ensure he or she does not move much. Use TV or a toy to keep the toddler engaged at this time.
- Now, put the thermometer’s tip into the armpit of the baby. Ensure it touches the skin properly.
- You will need to hold the thermometer by hand while using the other hand to keep the arm firmly on the thermometer. Keep it pressed for a few seconds.
- Get the thermometer out and see the reading.
How To Use An In-Ear Digital Thermometer To Measure Your Kid’s Temperature
You can also use a digital ear thermometer for checking the baby’s body temperature. However, it is best that you do not use such device with a playful child as the tip needs to be inserted into the eardrum. If the baby is under 3 months, the eardrum may be too small for insertion as well. These devices make use of infrared technology.
- Switch on the thermometer and have a look at the screen first.
- Make the baby sit on lap. Or else, hold the baby tight as he or she sits on a chair.
- Now, place the thermometer in the toddler’s ear, placing the tip towards his or her eardrum. Ensure the baby does not make sudden movements.
- Then, press start button and hold thermometer for a couple of seconds.
How To Use A Digital Thermometer In Mouth To Gauge The Baby’s Temperature
It is not necessary that you will have to use a digital thermometer in the same way to check the temperature of your baby. You can also use the thermometer to gauge temperature by using it in the mouth of the toddler. This is okay when your kid is about 4 or 5 years old.
- At first, you will need to clean the thermometer well with lukewarm water.
- Now, put its tip under the tongue of your kid.
- You will have to hold it for about a minute.
- You will hear a beep sound and then take it out. Check the reading now.
- To get an accurate reading, insert the device in your baby’s mouth some minutes after he or she has eaten anything hot or cold.
How To Use A Digital Thermometer In The Rectum To Gauge The Baby’s Temperature
For kids below 3 years, you can use a digital thermometer in his or her rectum to measure body temperature.
- Clean the tips of the thermometer with soapy water. Rinse it well with clean water.
- Now lubricate the tip with some jelly or cream.
- Let the baby lie with the belly down on the bed.
- Hold the baby tight and slowly insert the tip of the thermometer in the rectum.
Do not insert more than an inch.
- When you hear the beep sound, take it out and take reading.
Points To Keep In Mind
It would be good not to take the toddler’s temperature after he or she has bathed. The same can be said if he was in an air conditioned place for some time.