Sinus infections can be rather unpleasant to say the least. A sinus infection is the direct result of bacteria entering through the nasal passages into the sinuses. The nasal fluid builds up cause sinus pressure and even sinus headaches. There are a few simple things that you can do at home to ease the discomforts of a sinus infection.
- Fight Back With Zinc. Zinc can help reduce the amount of time that your sinus infection sticks around. Taking zinc supplements can give your immune system the boost that it needs to fight back against a sinus infection. Sinus infections are usually caused by some sort of viral infection. Be careful not to take too much. There are some uncomfortable side effects of taking too much zinc.
- Thin Out The Mucus. Expectorants can help thin out the mucus that is blocking your sinuses. By thinning out the mucus it will be easier for you to get it out, so that you can breathe easier. Look for products with the ingredient guaifenesin. It is the most effective in helping you clear out the mucus.
- Take Pain Reliever. Taking over the counter medication pain reliever like aspirin can help reduce the amount of swelling that often is associated with a sinus infection. Reducing the swelling can also help remove some of the mucus from your nose, and help relieve the cause of the pain.
- Use Steam Treatments. Hot steam can help open up the airways in your sinuses. Boil a pan of water and put it in a bowl. Put a towel over your head and inhale the steam through your nose. A steam vaporizer can also have the same effect. Enjoying a long hot shower can also help you enjoy the benefits of steam.
- Drink Plenty Of Liquids. Be sure to consume plenty of clear fluids like water or a drink full of electrolytes. By drinking plenty of fluids, you are providing your immune system with all of the ammo that it needs to fight the sinus infection. Drinking plenty of clear liquids also can help thin the mucus so that you can get it out of your sinuses.
- Take Over The Counter Medicine. Taking over the counter medication that has pseudoepherdine can help remove some of the mucus in your sinuses. Nasal decongestants can help reduce the amount of swelling and allow you to breathe freely. These medicines can come in many different forms including nasal spray, which in most cases, is the most effective. You should be well aware of the side effects of over the counter medications.
- Take Vitamins. You can try taking a daily vitamin to ensure that you are getting all of the vitamins and minerals that you need on a daily basis. Giving yourself a health boost of any kind can help get rid of a sinus infection.
- Get Plenty Of Rest. Be sure to get at least eight hours of sleep each and every night. You will feel great.