How To Get Rid of Insect Bites

There is a small chance that you might have seen an insect sometime in your life. That is a bit of an understatement given the sheer volume of them that there are. They are so numerous that they have carved out a niche in every ecosphere. In fact, pound for pound they are the largest non-plant food source that exist. Anything will eat them, even humans. A single colony of bats can consume tons of insects every night. Keeping that in mind, we should not be surprised when they bite back.

An Overview of A Bite

Most insects do not bite at all. Have you ever been bitten by a butterfly? With the exception of a few that feed on us like mosquitoes, most insect will bite out of self defense or a perceived threat, like stepping on an ant hill.

When they do bite most of them will inject a small amount of venom into the skin. The body sees this as an allergen and works to combat it. This is the job of the immune system.

Most of these bites are mild and just cause a little swelling and itching. Some though are much worse and can lead to things like joint pain or fever. Even if you don’t get these symptoms right away you are not out of the woods. Some venoms have a delayed reaction that you will not notice till the next day.

The worst case is if you are allergic to the venom. If you are you might have a reaction called anaphylasxic reaction. The symptoms include

  • Breathing difficulties
  • Facial swelling
  • Stomach pains
  • shock

The most sever bites are not bites at all bu stings. These can be from hornets, wasp, or bees but ants and misquoites can be irritating as well. The most important thing is that the bitten person is not one of the few with sever reactions. There also care that needs to be taken on stings on the throat.

Treating Them

It is only a matter of time before you are bitten or stung by an insect, there are just too many to avoid you entire life. Most of the time those bites and stings will be mild and go away on their own in a few days.Till then they well be red, a little swelling, and very itchy. If you feel you just can’t stand it there are a few thing you can do to lessen the symptoms.

  • Grab an ice pack. Like and type of injury that causes swelling, bites can be treated with a cold compress to keep down the swelling.
  • Wash your bite with soap. Use soap and water on the bite to wash out any bug parts and to help prevent it from getting infected.
  • Stop scratching. You are going to want to scratch but don’t, that just keeps the area irritated and can lead to infection. There are plenty of soothing creams that can help with the itch.
  • Medicine. If you are prone to anaphylaxis then make sure you are carrying your kit and call for an ambulance as soon as you can.

Bugs are everywhere. Getting bitten is just a matter of time. Since you can’t stop it you should be ready for it.