Arteries serve as plumbing set up in the human body and they supply oxygen rich blood and nutrients consistently to various organs and cells. As a house with blocked plumbing lines gets replete with filth, human body with clogged arteries lead to onset of ailments and can have fatal consequences. As a matter of fact, the circumference of arteries in human body gets reduced by a number of factors. The arteries get choked by acculturation of plaques derived from sources like fatty foods, alcohol, smoking and cholesterol, etc. This condition, known as arteriosclerosis, paves way for onset of heart attack and related ailments.
Ways To Prevent Clogged Arteries
While arteries in the body tend to get choked as you grow old, it is possible to control the damage by resorting to suitable lifestyle and adopting a few healthy dietary habits.
Below listed are a few effective methods that can be used to thwart plaque formation in arteries:
- Resort To Stress Management – Several studies have indicated that when people are subjected to various types of stress, they can suffer from the accumulation of fatty plaques in artery walls. The plaques can also break loose from the walls and the outcome can be fatal. To battle stress caused by various sources, you may resort to techniques like meditation. Trying yoga can also be helpful in this regard. Indulge in suitable stress busting activities once in a while to uplift your mood.
- Refrain From Much Drinking – Excessive consumption of alcohol will not only harm the liver it is equally bad for artery condition and paves way for cardiovascular ailments in the long run. Most Alcoholic beverages have ethanol, which gets converted into human body into acetaldehyde. Studies have shown it can lead to blood vessel blockage-and strokes. So, you need to cut down on alcohol to keep clogged arteries at bay.
- Avoid Smoking – Smoking causes numerous harms to human body and damages lungs. It can also lead to formation of clogged arteries. Smoking nicotine is known to cause damage to the cells on the blood vessels and leads to blood clot development.
- Resort to Exercise Consistently – To ensure plaques do not keep growing on artery linings and wall, you need to work out. By exercising on a regular basis, you can aid the body generate HDL, or good, cholesterol and cut down production of triglycerides. This in turn thwarts plaque development on artery walls and lowers production of bad or LDL cholesterol.
- Include Specific Types of Foods in Diet – By including certain types of food in your meals, it is possible to reduce risk of clogged arteries substantially, say medical experts. These foods also offer you other health benefits, as it is.
- Oily Fish – Include a few servings of oily fish like tuna and herring and Salmon in your meals every week. They have omega-3 fatty acids, which help fight artery clogging.
- Grapes and Berries – You should eat adequate amounts of grape and various types of berries including blueberry and strawberry to thwart the formation of clogged artery. These fruits are replete with antioxidants and flavonoids which can resist plaque development on artery walls.
- Spinach – Like the famous cartoon hero Popeye, you can also make Spinach a part of your meals. This vegetable is replete with vitamins A and C and it helps prevent plaque development. Its folic acid and potassium keeps blood pressure under control.
- Tomatoes – Eating tomatoes can help the body resist LDL cholesterol oxidization. This in turn drastically diminishes risk of arteriosclerosis. Tomatoes contain carotenoid lycopene- an antioxidant that lowers risk of atherosclerosis, as has been indicated by several studies.