Not all children are sensitive to motion sickness. While infants hardly experience it, toddlers and preschoolers are prone to it. It could be genetic also. So, if you are prone to motion sickness, then be a little prepared as your little one might also feel queasy. The confusion that the brain experiences due to the inability to see what happens while in motion is the primary reason behind this condition.
A child who is suffering from motion sickness generally remains quite. She turns pale, which is quite often followed by brief episodes of restlessness, cold sweat, and continuous yawning. This, eventually, leads to an upset stomach that triggers nausea and vomiting. Here are some interesting things that you could keep in mind while travelling to prevent and ease motion sickness in children.
Tips For Traveling With Children Who Have Motion Sickness
- Never allow the child to travel on an empty or full stomach as this condition is known to worsen in either cases. Give them a dry snack, free from oil and spices.
- Exposure to intense levels of heat worsens nausea. So, keep the windows covered to prevent sun from glaring.
- Keep travel games handy as it could keep the child distracted. You could also keep the child engaged with music or stories.
- Keep breaks quite often to keep your child at ease.
- Keep the temperature inside the car slightly cool. This will help in preventing queasiness.
- Try to avoid bumpy rides as much as possible. It is also advisable to avoid hairpin curves. If you are travelling via air, choose to sit over the wing.
- When you are travelling via car, try to keep the windows open, partially to allow the inflow of fresh air.
- Allow the kids to sip water intermittently as feeling dehydrated could also headaches and queasiness.
- Always keep dry snacks handy as hunger pangs could also trigger motion sickness.
Natural Remedies To Prevent And Ease Motion Sickness In Children
Here are some natural ways to prevent and ease motion sickness in children:
1. Acupressure Wristbands
Acupressure bands is one of the best ways to ease motion sickness. It is one of the simplest ways to enjoy a road trip without taking frequent breaks. These acupressure bands work by exerting pressure on the inside of the wrist atop the Nei-Kuan acupressure point. Studies suggest that stimulating this point could help in reducing the nauseating sensation. While there are numerous online stores and grocery chains that offer acupressure wristbands you could make it at home too. You just need a soft, large rubber band and a small pebble-sized bead. Just ensure that you are positioning it right.
2. Peppermint And Mint
Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil to a piece of cotton. Ask the child to keep inhaling every now and then to prevent nausea. Sucking peppermint candies could also help in easing the motion sickness. Mint leaves can also be used in the place of peppermint to ward off headaches and queasiness.
This spice rhizome is one of the most effective natural remedies to prevent and ease nausea and headache triggered by motion sickness. It could be used in various forms to help the child. Give you child honey soaked ginger candies or you could bake ginger cookies that are lightly sweetened. Ginger tea might also quell nausea. You could even look out for ginger essential oil or ginger capsules.
The fresh, citrus scented lemon is quite often advised as an antidote for nausea. A mixture of freshly squeezed lemon and grated ginger flavored with honey can be sucked frequently to ward off motion sickness. Inhaling the aroma of lemon could also prevent nausea. Lemon oil could also be used effectively to ward off the condition.
Have your child experienced motion sickness? What did you do to manage the same? Share your views and experiences with us!