Has anyone heard of adrenal fatigue? We all experience the adrenaline rush during exciting events or during extreme fear. At most times we take our adrenal gland, the author of the well-known “fight or flight” reaction for granted. What happens when the adrenaline gland goes through a lag and does not work efficiently? It can wreak havoc with your body systems and health.
Adrenal fatigue as the term implies, is a medical condition which is yet to be proved, but refers to symptoms such as extreme tiredness caused by improper functioning of the adrenal gland. It is thought to occur in people that have experienced severe physical, mental and emotional stress.
Let us explain the condition in lay terms. Hormones are made by the adrenal glands. When we are under stress, cortisol is released to help the body cope with the stress and manage it. It is believed that extreme stress inhibits the release of adequate hormones by the adrenal glands causing a whole lot of symptoms.
Some of The Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue Are:
- Confusion and no clarity of thought
- Reluctance to wake up and get out of bed
- Extreme fatigue and tiredness after waking up
- Procrastination and lack of energy to finish work
These symptoms could overlap presence of other underlying medical conditions.
Treatment For Adrenal Fatigue
Most of the treatment for adrenal fatigue depends upon the food you eat. It is imperative to have a proper diet plan of healthy food to help fight adrenal fatigue. Most importantly, you must work on keeping away from foods that will make adrenal fatigue worse.
Food intolerances stand in the way of proper digestion and excretion of food. When nutrients are not absorbed properly in the body, it could affect our energy levels and leave us weak. When digestion is affected, there is a growth of unhealthy bacteria in the gut and this further lowers immunity. It is crucial to address food allergies and sensitivities for those suffering from adrenal fatigue. Such foods can cause inflammation as well as hamper the proper absorption of nutrients in the bodies.
It Is Important To:
- Eat nutritious food with vegetables and fruits
- Stick to proper meal timings
- Completely avoid allergic food or sensitive food items
- Keep a diary of food allergies and take care to avoid them
- Consume supplements to boost gut health
- Improve digestion with the help of probiotics
- Avoid processed foods
- Have proper meal times
- Always consume adequate water and stay well hydrated. This is especially important for victims of adrenal fatigue.
- Always important to maintain optimal blood sugar levels during the entire day. It is a good idea to concentrate on eating smaller meals throughout the day. This will help lower cravings for food and drop in blood sugar levels.
- Victims of adrenal fatigue should never miss their breakfast. Ideally, breakfast should be nutritious and should include foods with high protein content and a small quantity of carbohydrate. When you break a fast after 12 hours, the body requires the right kind of nutrition to keep it going in the morning hours. It is best to avoid a breakfast that comprises cereals laden with sugar.
- Avoid excess sugar. Consuming too much sugar is a bother for the adrenal glands. It could cause sugar cravings with fluctuating sugar levels and this may not work well for those with Adrenal fatigue.
- High sugar foods like fruit juices should also be avoided.
- A better idea is to get enough proteins; this ensures energy levels are high without causing fluctuations in the blood sugar.
- Completely avoid caffeinated drinks as they can stress your adrenal glands. It can cause your adrenal glands to produce adrenaline and cortisol just as it does during a ‘fight or flight’ reaction. This depletes the adrenal gland and over time incapacitates the gland’s power to respond appropriately.
- Organic meat, beef, fish, chicken are a good and healthy choice for those with adrenal fatigue.
Adrenal fatigue can have a profound effect on your overall health. So, make sure you take appropriate steps to combat this fatigue and regain control over your body and health.